The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chainmail Thread!

Go down 
+4
IMagius
Dinwar
BrassButtons
RainCloud
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 11:27 am

Looks good Smile

If you haven't already, you may want to look at MAIL for weave tutorials (as well as all kinds of other useful info). There are usually several different ways to make each weave, and trying different methods can help a lot in finding the way that works best for you.

CG Maille is also a good resource, though sadly the creator has decided to discontinue it (the site will stay up, but there won't be any new content added).
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Yup, been spending a fair bit of time on both those sites over the past few days. Very Happy

Managed to get some full persian done today after a failed attempt at elven rope. Gonna try that one again with a higher AR, see if I can manage.
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 1:12 am

So, a 4.2AR elven rope is a right pain. Managed a few links though before pulling it apart. Regular elf weave came out alright, though doesn't seem to flatten quite right to my eye. Got some boxchain and jens pind linkage knocked out as well. Definitely gonna have to get a wider selection of rings, starting to like this way too much. Shocked

Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 100_3529

I've got a little soldering clamp that's proven it's worth here as well:

Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 100_3524
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 7:29 pm

VERY well done! Those look fantastic!
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 pm

I have to admit, I'm a little pissed off at how easily you seem to be getting some of those weaves lol!

For getting a wider selection of rings, I highly suggest looking into coiling your own. Some people don't like spending the time on coiling/cutting, but it allows you to make rings of whatever AR you need at the time. And if you're just starting out, there's no reason not to use cheap hardware store wire. Plus it's a lot quicker than ordering from TRL and then waiting 2-3 weeks for shipping.
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 7:40 pm

BrassButtons wrote:
I have to admit, I'm a little pissed off at how easily you seem to be getting some of those weaves lol!

Heh, it's not so bad when you've got nothing else to do (besides playing/modding Skyrim, that is). Yay unemployment! Suspect

BrassButtons wrote:
For getting a wider selection of rings, I highly suggest looking into coiling your own. Some people don't like spending the time on coiling/cutting, but it allows you to make rings of whatever AR you need at the time. And if you're just starting out, there's no reason not to use cheap hardware store wire. Plus it's a lot quicker than ordering from TRL and then waiting 2-3 weeks for shipping.

Definitely on my to do list, want to try to find some thinner cutting wheels for my Dremel first though. The thinnest ones I have now have a tendency to explode....

Edit: Gave this tutorial a go with slightly different ARs, a bit tight but I'm not complaining:

Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 100_3533

Got a couple nasty closures in that picture, working on those. Harder to see without the camera zoom.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 5:33 pm

Maybe some nasty closures, but otherwise ****ing awesome.
Back to top Go down
https://worldbuildersguild.rpg-board.net
Sister of Darkness
Secondary Character
Sister of Darkness

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Those are lovely Deano! heh all i can think of is "Oooo i wonder what kind of jewelery i could make with those all chain...y...or clothes..ooo chainy clothes..." my focus is exellent! *cough* HAHA!
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks all.

Half Persian 3-1 wrapped around a green glass....thing. No idea honestly, found it laying around.

Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 100_3544
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Cool Very Happy I tried my first cab wrapping awhile ago, but I didn't have the right size rings. It looks ok, but isn't a snug fit (the cab can actually be popped out and put back in, heh).

Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Same with the one in that picture. So long as it remains perfectly still on the table it's fine. HAHA!

Thinking about adding either some small chains across the front and back to hold it, or some kind of web. Not sure which I want to try, but I'm pretty sure I don't have small enough rings for either way right now. Argh!
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Another option is to do e4-1 edged with e6-1. It has more of a lip around the cab to keep it in place. That's what I did with mine, and it won't pop out unless I'm deliberately messing with it (though it's very loose--I can hold the cab still and spin the maille around it, which is actually kind of fun).
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 2:33 am

Hmmm, may have to give that a try. Saw a picture of it earlier and it definitely looked more secure.
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 11:59 am

Here is the tutorial that I used.
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Nice, I'll give it a go, hopefully I can make it work with the ring sizes I currently have.
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 8:44 pm

That last ring's a right bastard, innit?

Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 100_3566

Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 100_3573

Celtic Visions Circle

Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 100_3561

Tetra-orb (with yet more iffy closures I didn't really notice until I saw the picture >_<, fixed now though)

Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 100_3563
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Hehe, looks like a maille tire Very Happy

Those all look really cool. And the picture quality is really great as well--a lot of people have problems with getting decent pictures.
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:24 pm

Holy crap, dude! That's amazing work!

As far as finding bad closures goes, don't use your eyes. Use your fingers. You'll feel them catch on partially open links.

If you like wrapping things, try 3/4 Persian. It's like HP, but with one extra row. And I'll admit to not being entirely disinterested here--I want to see how it works, and don't want to do it myself Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sister of Darkness
Secondary Character
Sister of Darkness

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Nice work Deano! *steals them* yoink!
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 11:40 pm

BrassButtons wrote:
Hehe, looks like a maille tire Very Happy

If they made a snow tire with that tread, I would buy it.

BrassButtons wrote:
Those all look really cool. And the picture quality is really great as well--a lot of people have problems with getting decent pictures.

Not bad for using paper I pulled out of the printer for a backdrop eh?

Dinwar wrote:
Holy crap, dude! That's amazing work!

As far as finding bad closures goes, don't use your eyes. Use your fingers. You'll feel them catch on partially open links.

Oi! That's brilliant. With the number of hours I've spent sanding various projects, you'd think that would've occurred to me.

Dinwar wrote:
If you like wrapping things, try 3/4 Persian. It's like HP, but with one extra row. And I'll admit to not being entirely disinterested here--I want to see how it works, and don't want to do it myself Very Happy

Gonna have to find something a bit bigger to wrap, starting to run low on some of the smaller rings already. Poke!

Sister of Darkness wrote:
Nice work Deano! *steals them* yoink!

Ninja One
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 am

Deano wrote:

If they made a snow tire with that tread, I would buy it.
They've made a lunar rover with maille tires.

Quote :
Not bad for using paper I pulled out of the printer for a backdrop eh?
I was referring more to the fact that the rings are actually in focus Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Ah, that. Indeed, I only had to take each picture a minimum of three times.
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Just got an order from TRL. Roughly 500ft of aluminum, 100ft each of brass and bronze, 10 25ft rolls of enameled copper in different colors, an assortment of anodized aluminum rings (500 of each color), a pound of bright aluminum rings (a few thousand of them), two ounces of niobium rings (one green bag, and one mixed bag), and a bunch of clasps.

Dancing Banana Dancing Banana Dancing Banana Dancing Banana Dancing Banana
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:48 pm

In the last week I've thought really hard about getting into this. I think I will soon.

I'm going to Utah's Renaissance fair this weekend. I should see lots of chainmail there.
Back to top Go down
RainCloud
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 7:24 pm

BrassButtons wrote:
Just got an order from TRL. Roughly 500ft of aluminum, 100ft each of brass and bronze, 10 25ft rolls of enameled copper in different colors, an assortment of anodized aluminum rings (500 of each color), a pound of bright aluminum rings (a few thousand of them), two ounces of niobium rings (one green bag, and one mixed bag), and a bunch of clasps.

Dancing Banana Dancing Banana Dancing Banana Dancing Banana Dancing Banana

Nice! Whatchya plan on making?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Chainmail Thread! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chainmail Thread!
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next