Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Chainmail Thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
BrassButtons
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Mon May 07, 2012 7:10 pm

RainCloud wrote:

Nice! Whatchya plan on making?
ALL THE THINGS!!! Very Happy

So far I've been playing around with half-persian a lot. Made a patch of Sheet 6 today with rows of alternating color. Looks pretty cool.

I want to try making some alligator back with graduated rings at some point, because I think it would come out looking like a trilobite Very Happy
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Tue May 08, 2012 11:07 pm

I bought tools today. Now i need to buy rings.

Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Tue May 08, 2012 11:55 pm

talonnolan wrote:
I bought tools today. Now i need to buy rings.
Wire. Rod. Cutters. Done. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Wed May 09, 2012 12:01 am

True. But...... I'm lazy. Lol. Just easier to buy rings.

Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Wed May 09, 2012 9:00 am

But more expensive. Hm... i may need to look more into making my own. Not sure how to start though.

On a weird note, had chainmail dreams. And have yet to do any actual chainmailing.

Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Wed May 09, 2012 9:43 pm

talonnolan wrote:
True. But...... I'm lazy.
And you want to try MAILLING? You might need to put a bit more thought into this Very Happy

Quote :
But more expensive. Hm... i may need to look more into making my own. Not sure how to start though.
I use a vice grip to hold one end of the wire to the mandrel (rod), and then just wrap the wire by hand (I use rather short madrels that I can hold in the air while wrapping). When I'm done I just cut the wire (make sure you relax the tension first, or that wire WILL attack you) and take the coil off the mandrel. Then cut each ring off with some wire cutters, and voila! Rings!

Quote :
On a weird note, had chainmail dreams. And have yet to do any actual chainmailing.
It's fate!
Back to top Go down
RainCloud
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Wed May 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Hey, BB, where did you get your mandrel? I've been using a screwdriver lol.

Last edited by RainCloud on Thu May 10, 2012 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 pm

BrassButtons wrote:
And you want to try MAILLING? You might need to put a bit more thought into this Very Happy

Well sure. I'm lazy and I'm able to fit in gaming, reading, sitting on my butt. I'm sure mailing will fit right in.

Honestly i like stuff like this a lot. I want to give it a shot.

I bought wire today. And mandrels.

Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Thu May 10, 2012 12:11 am

Do you guys cut your coils with bolt cutters or do you shear them then pull them apart?

Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Thu May 10, 2012 12:35 am

The person to ask, I am definitely not. I use bolt cutters, just slipping the coil off the mandrel and clipping across the coil (this would be easier if I had a picture...). For info on how to do it, look at the first page in the thread where everyone was desperately trying to help me out when my first batch of rings died.
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Thu May 10, 2012 12:43 am

talonnolan wrote:
Do you guys cut your coils with bolt cutters or do you shear them then pull them apart?
Depends on the metal and the application. I use score-and-break most of the time, unless I'm either impatient or working with something stronger like steel. At that point I just use pinch cut. I don't have any bolt cutters, just side cutters and flush cutters, but I know a lot of people do like bolt cutters for things like steel.

What kind of wire did you buy?
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Thu May 10, 2012 1:06 am

I bought electric fence 14 gauge wire. So... i assume that's galvanized steel? I saw an advice post Din made on M.A.I.L to buy that (cheap easy) and work with it so i become used to mailing. If i fuck it up, no bigs. I can always buy better/more wire later. After i know what the hell i'm sort of doing.

I also bought a transfer punch set from Harbor freight to use as mandrels. Also as Dinwar advised.

I'm busy the rest of this week moving my sisters stuff. So I'm sure i'll spend all of my day off Tuesday experimenting.

Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Thu May 10, 2012 7:48 am

RainCloud wrote:
Hey, BB, where did you get your mandrel? I've been using a screwdriver lol.
I got a transfer punch set at Harbor Freight. 28 little mandrels in graduated sizes, with a handy stand to hold them all Very Happy

talonnolan wrote:
I bought electric fence 14 gauge wire. So... i assume that's galvanized steel?
Probably. You can tell galvy by the greyish, kind of dirty color. It also has a fairly strong scent.

Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Thu May 10, 2012 1:31 pm

BrassButtons wrote:

I got a transfer punch set at Harbor Freight. 28 little mandrels in graduated sizes, with a handy stand to hold them all Very Happy

That's what i got too.

HM.... since diablo 3 comes out next week, it's possible my day off will be full of that. This saddens and gladdens me.

Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Thu May 10, 2012 4:33 pm

BrassButtons wrote:

Probably. You can tell galvy by the greyish, kind of dirty color. It also has a fairly strong scent.

Fairly strong scent? *snicker* That's an underestimate! My entire craft box smells like galvanized steel x.x
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Sun May 13, 2012 3:15 am

Speaking of wire, I spent a few hours today removing a fair bit of copper from an old boiler motor. Measured out at ~.019" (24.5 AWG) and ~.038" (18.5 AWG), though it may end up being too soft for anything but practice. Suspect

I'll tell you this though, they never meant for that wire to come out when they built those motors.
Back to top Go down
RainCloud
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Mon May 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Deano wrote:
Speaking of wire, I spent a few hours today removing a fair bit of copper from an old boiler motor. Measured out at ~.019" (24.5 AWG) and ~.038" (18.5 AWG), though it may end up being too soft for anything but practice. Suspect

I'll tell you this though, they never meant for that wire to come out when they built those motors.

No, I wouldn't expect they would mean for that rofl!
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Wed May 23, 2012 5:02 pm

talonnolan wrote:
BrassButtons wrote:

That's what i got too.

Wouldn't happen to be this set, would it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/punches/28-piece-transfer-punch-set-3577.html

I was all prepared to make a trip to Lowe's to look for steel dowels, but at that price I think I'll spare myself the 100 mile round trip for the time being.
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Wed May 23, 2012 6:41 pm

That's the one.
Back to top Go down
IMagius
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Mon May 28, 2012 8:39 pm

About the cutting methods ... I've used the 14 g galvanized wire, and those Mini Bolt Cutters are the best for it ... IF you don't mind sharp ends on your rings. If you want rings with smoother joints, a dremel and cutting wheel is the way to go ... I put the Coil onto a wooden dowel to support it as I cut and it also stopped the rings from launching all over the place.
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:15 pm

I've been thinking about how to build an automatic ring-cutter. I've been using bolt cutters, and as IMagius said they can be a bit...scratchy. The problem is, dremals heat the metal. Not enough to ruin the temper, but certainly enough to be uncomfortable for a while after you cut them. And if you use multiple inner diameters you need a lot of dowels. I'm thinking a disk of wood, with holes of various sizes drilled in so that the edge of the coil sticks out, and rigging a PVC pipe cut in half lengthwise to hold the dremal in place.

I'm bored in a hotel room today, so I've made a lot of HP. As a single strand, HP4-1 looks a lot better than HP3-1 with rings of the same size. HP3-1 just looks loose and..off. As a component of a larger project HP3-1 is fantastic, but I'm finding more and more that I just don't like the look of it as a stand-alone piece.

I really should find an SCA event to go to...I want to write a report on HP used in the Middle Ages. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Dinwar wrote:
I really should find an SCA event to go to...I want to write a report on HP used in the Middle Ages. Very Happy
Do we have evidence that it was used? I thought all we had were some paintings that had what might be hp, but were more likely to be simple chains made with twisted rings?

I definitely agree that hp4-1 looks better as a single strand. I think I prefer it because it lays flat, while hp3-1 has a /-\ shape, which bothers me for some reason (though only as a chain--once you lengthen it out into a sheet I don't mind, probably because most of it is flat at that point).

Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:52 pm

You're right--we only have paintings of extremely ambiguous chains. Which is one reason I want to do that as an Arts and Science submission. I call this tactic "poking the dragon": basically, you do something you KNOW will annoy pretty much everyone involved, in order to get a reaction. I coined the term when my wife, her father, and I were playing a game and, to distract her father, I took a guy with a sword and poked his dragon. Worked perfectly--except that my guy got eaten (that's the downside to the tactic: the dragon tends to get angry). Anyway, my intention is to submit the report, and then sit back and watch as the laurals fight it out. Very Happy

The way the links lay in HP3-1 and HP4-1 may be a component, but I think that the compaction of the links in HP4-1 compared to HP3-1 is another factor. In a strand of HP3-1 there are a lot of open spaces, particularly the "eyes" in that narrow part of the / \. This gives it a very gangly look. HP4-1 has a more compact look, without as much empty space at the same ring size.

I should also point out that my rings were originally intended for HP Sheet 6, so they're larger than I usually use for HP. That could be a major component, though even when I use the right AR I still don't like single strands of HP3-1. Which is unforunate, because I have an idea for a necklace that would work wonderfully if HP3-1 looked better...
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Welp, had a couple tries at making rings today. Best I can say is I learned a few things not to do. First attempt was with some scrap overhead power line (~14 SWG); I don't know what it's made of, but it has a ridiculous amount of spring/stiffness to it. That copper coating on it is hella misleading. Second attempt was a bit better, stripped down some RG6 coax for the copper. Wrapped as well as could be expected for how I was attempting it (steel rod in a bench vise), but got a little too ambitious with the aviation snips and forced most of them out of round (tried to cut too much at once). Ah well, the closures look nice at least.

Used a 1/2" steel rod (all I got at hand), since the punch set I ordered from Harbor Freight has yet to arrive (nine days FedEx? Come on!). So now I have a couple dozen slightly deformed ~13 AR copper rings to find some kind of use for. Suspect
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:31 am

So far i've made a byzantine chain about 4 inches long. Took me a while to pick the right mandrel. Hm... maybe I should actually be measuring my rings.

I think I've of made more by now but Diablo 3 has really sucked me in. But I enjoyed making the byzantine a lot. I see myself giving more time to it in the near future.

PostSubject: Re: Chainmail Thread!   

Back to top Go down

Chainmail Thread!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next