Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

shake & rattle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
IMagius
Primary Character

PostSubject: shake & rattle   Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:01 pm

ok, no rattle, but unless I just had a seizure of soem sort, I'd swear we just had a small earthquake here in the last 5 minutes!

Sitting in my lazyboy, and I realized it suddenly felt llike a slow motion vibrator was wiggling the entire chair.

Thought maybe it was me, not enough water drank or something and a bit of vetigo for whatever reason, but looked at teh cup on my side table, and the water in it was sloshing ever so slightly as well ...

Very odd to notice anythign like this up here in mid-Ontario ...

Wonder if I am crazy or if this will hit the news in a while? Smile
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: shake & rattle   Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Central Virginia got a 5.8 quake at around that time. We felt tremors at work (I'm in Delaware). It freaked out a lot of people--we aren't used to quakes around here.

Alaska got one this morning, too. I think several other places did as well.
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: shake & rattle   Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:37 pm

There is precident--the East Coast of the USA gets hit with earthquakes a few times a century. The real problem is that you're moving a LOT more rock out there than in California or the like. Out here the rocks moving are a few tens of miles across; out there, they're a few hundred. Less stress (passive continental margin) makes for less violent shaking and less frequent quakes, but the huge blocks of rock involved makes what quakes DO happen travel much further. There's historic record of a quake in Atlanta, Georgia ringing the church bells in Toledo, Ohio.

And before anyone starts looking for quakes, let me just point out that quakes of this magnitude aren't uncommon. If you look for earthquakes today you WILL fine some--just as you will if you look for quakes any other day of the year. I'm not trying to downplay anything, but there's no reason to think that there has been an increase in earthquake activity.

Also, do we want to know how you know what a slow-motion vibrator under your chair feels, IMagius?
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick

PostSubject: Re: shake & rattle   Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:16 pm

Yeah Paul, there was a mini-quake (or tremors) that reached into Canada today. I didn't feel anything where I was, but I know those who did.

"What mood is that?"

"Last minute panic.”
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: shake & rattle   Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:17 pm

I missed it here in MI, I was sleep Razz
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick

PostSubject: Re: shake & rattle   Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Who are you now, then? Laughing

"What mood is that?"

"Last minute panic.”
Back to top Go down
IMagius
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: shake & rattle   Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:58 pm

LOL @ Diwnar ... I was referring to my experiences in one of those thousand dollar massage chairs Razz

Apparently (I don't really understand why, but I believe them) this quake was felt so far away becuase of how shallow it was ... reports I read said it was xentered around something like only 100 meters deep. Apparently with how the sheild is, that causes the tremor to reach further ... guess it's kind of like how ripples expand in water ?? seems logical to me Smile

Yeah, I know earthquakes are not unheard of here, but the ones we can feel are so rare, it's always an interesting experience. I know there are some Major fault lines under Lake Ontario that have predictions of 7.5 to 8 (iirc) if/when they let go again. As much as I would like to experience a major quake (I think the power of nature is absolutely incredible - the worse the storm, the more liekly I am to go out in it just to be a part of it), I don't think I'd "ask" for one ... the side effects (damage, possible loss of life, etc..) just aren't worth it.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: shake & rattle   Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:34 pm

My ass was shaking, and then I realized it was just the music.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain.

We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://worldbuildersguild.forumotion.net
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: shake & rattle   Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Well, I guess the more shallow the quake is the less diffused the energy is. I mean, a quake 10 km down is going to have to travel 10 km through some very tough rock to reach the surface at all (I forget the exact ratio, but pressure increases by a huge amount as you go down, so it's safe to assume that more work-hardened rock will be encountered--meaning it won't have the room to jiggle the way non-work-hardened rocks do), and the further you are from the epicenter the further it'd have to travel to reach you (the whole trig thing). There's also less chance of the force being diverted along the way--faults and that would act as a buffer for both S and mild P waves.

Quote :
s much as I would like to experience a major quake (I think the power of nature is absolutely incredible -
No arguments there. I've calculated the energy released in a quake before. When you start geting to multiple nuclear warheads, you know it's a lot of power.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shake & rattle   

Back to top Go down

shake & rattle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1