The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cricket

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ForeverCrimson
Minor Character
ForeverCrimson

Cricket Empty
PostSubject: Cricket   Cricket EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Wasn't too sure where to stick this as there is no sport forum... ;-)

Anyways, I've been watching a fair bit of cricket over the past couple of days and am beginning to realise just how bizarre it is. And that's coming from an English girl! I was just wondering how weird it must seem to the rest of the (non-cricket-playing) world?!

I only got into cricket recently - I did some waitressing at my local cricket ground during the England/Sri Lanka International last month and was put in the media room. After being surrounded by well-known and respected cricket journalists and commentators (a lot of famous ex-England crickets!) and being forced to admit to them that I knew nothing about the game they were so passionate about I've been improving my knowledge!

The closest American sport I could compare cricket to is base ball... only with a flat bat, two stumps, some seriously fast bowling, and oh! the matches last for 5 days and have tea breaks HAHA! And odd fans. That dress up. A quote from today sums English fans up nicely (they tried to cut the cricket short around 5.20pm, luckily for the fans they reconsidered and they're still playing now at 6.50pm!):
Quote :
"WE WANT OUR MONEY BACK!" roar the punters packed into the Eric Hollies Stand. Leading the chorus? A drunk cardinal, Pamela Anderson, a woman dressed as a carrot, three Oompa-Loompas and a human whoopee cushion.

On an aside... England are playing India at the moment and doing astoundingly well. One of the English players (Cook) was finally caught out today just short of 300 runs. He'd been batting a total of 13 hours and 23 minutes over the past 3 days... I know of no other sport like it!!! England currently lead 710-7 compared to India's 224 & 34-1

Anyone else watch cricket? Or what do you American's think of it?!! :-)
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

Cricket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cricket   Cricket EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:41 pm

I am more confused now than I ever was. Give me a mound, a pentagon, and three squares any day of the week. At least I can understand that.
Back to top Go down
https://worldbuildersguild.rpg-board.net
ForeverCrimson
Minor Character
ForeverCrimson

Cricket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cricket   Cricket EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 5:25 am

Ha ha ha! Well I'm confused by your 'football' so I guess we're even Razz

It's a bizarre sport and I can safely say I wouldn't want to be batting when the ball is coming at you at almost 100mph! *winces*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cricket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cricket   Cricket Empty

Back to top Go down

Cricket
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The World Builders Guild :: General Discussion Forums :: General Discussion Forum-
Jump to: