The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bin Laden Dead

Go down 
+4
Confessor Kahlan
carnage rahl
Calwyn
fogofwar
8 posters
AuthorMessage
fogofwar
Secondary Character
fogofwar

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptySun May 01, 2011 10:56 pm

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 12:54 am

Does that mean we can all bring our troops back from Afghanistan now?
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character
carnage rahl

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 12:58 am

you got troops over there too? somehow I didn't know this!!!! when did they declare this bastard dead anyway?
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 1:11 am

Yes Canada's had troops in Afghanistan almost since it was invaded. In fact I think we might even have more troops there than the US, since you shifted focus to Iraq and the rest of the Allies moved in to police and pacify post-conquest.

And the news was just announced today. It spread pretty darn quickly. Within about an hour half of my friends on facebook had something in their status about it.
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character
carnage rahl

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 7:28 am

oh really? damn...show's what I know about my neighbors to the north Razz

if it spread that quickly for you guys...where the hell were we....or should I say where the hell was I!!! ROFL
Back to top Go down
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character
Confessor Kahlan

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 7:40 am

Don't feel too bad, Ben. I only found out 10 minutes ago. Neutral
Back to top Go down
drefan72
Minor Character
drefan72

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 8:44 am

I'm glad the sorry son of a bitch is dead.
Back to top Go down
IMagius
Primary Character
IMagius

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:43 am

Not that I'd ever rejoice over any being killed, I'm still relieved to hear he is no longer a threat to the rest of the world.

Scary times now Sad Hopefully he won't become a martyr and this won't increase violence in his name.
Back to top Go down
fogofwar
Secondary Character
fogofwar

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:53 am

Calwyn wrote:
Yes Canada's had troops in Afghanistan almost since it was invaded. In fact I think we might even have more troops there than the US, since you shifted focus to Iraq and the rest of the Allies moved in to police and pacify post-conquest.

The US definitely has more troops in Afghanistan currently. We semi-pulled out of Iraq and started focusing on Afghanistan for the past year or so.
Back to top Go down
IMagius
Primary Character
IMagius

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 12:19 pm

foggie is correct ... rough numbers, based on information about 6 months old ... 100,000 US Troops and ~3,000 Canadian Troops ... And Canada's numbers are supposed to be steadily decreasing now with our planned withrdrawl from Afganistan.

I know, these numbers come from Wikipedia, but it's the easiest place to get these numbers without digging through a ton of pages ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_deployments
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada's_role_in_the_Afghanistan_War

Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character
carnage rahl

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 2:40 pm

so what are the details of his death? does anyone know where I can look officially or is there just random rumors?
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 3:00 pm

It's changed a lot. First he was killed by a bomb, then he was taken out by a small special ops group in a GI Joe-like battle, and I think for a while some news places were saying he was killed at sea (though that may be confused with the news of his burial).

I'm a bit skeptical now about this, though I don't like being a conspiracy theorist. The official story is that he was buried within 24 hours as per Muslim custom, and they did take a DNA sample and confirmed it was Osama. However, they buried him at sea. Supposedly to prevent his burial place from becoming a shrine or place of pilgrimage to his supporters. On top of that, I was under the impression that in the best circumstances it can take a month for a DNA sample to be tested and confirmed. I wonder how good and quickly accessible their DNA test labs are in Afghanistan.

Now maybe this all happened a month or so ago, and the news only came out now once it was confirmed. Still... something just seems off about how this story's progressed.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 4:42 pm

I heard a rumor last night that he was killed because of his GPS tracking device on his iPhone... which HAS to be some kind of a joke. The guy was supposed to have been insanely smart... no way he'd do something like that if he was really that smart.
Back to top Go down
https://worldbuildersguild.rpg-board.net
fogofwar
Secondary Character
fogofwar

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Calwyn wrote:
It's changed a lot. First he was killed by a bomb, then he was taken out by a small special ops group in a GI Joe-like battle, and I think for a while some news places were saying he was killed at sea (though that may be confused with the news of his burial).

I'm a bit skeptical now about this, though I don't like being a conspiracy theorist. The official story is that he was buried within 24 hours as per Muslim custom, and they did take a DNA sample and confirmed it was Osama. However, they buried him at sea. Supposedly to prevent his burial place from becoming a shrine or place of pilgrimage to his supporters. On top of that, I was under the impression that in the best circumstances it can take a month for a DNA sample to be tested and confirmed. I wonder how good and quickly accessible their DNA test labs are in Afghanistan.

Now maybe this all happened a month or so ago, and the news only came out now once it was confirmed. Still... something just seems off about how this story's progressed.

It takes only a few hours at most to do a DNA test.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=how-do-you-id-a-dead-osama-anyway-2011-05-02

The reason criminal trials take so long is that a lot of labs are backed up and there is no real rush.

I don't think there was any misinformation coming from the government. The news agencies were speculating that it might have been a predator drone but that was before Obama had his news conference.

Muslims do have to be buried in 24 hours based on their tradition so that is why Osama was sent to the bottom of the ocean in a coffin so fast. The US didn't really want to insult all of Islam by not buring him in time so this is appropriate and smart. But in those 24 hours they had plenty of time to take pictures and samples and what not.
Back to top Go down
fogofwar
Secondary Character
fogofwar

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyMon May 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyWed May 04, 2011 7:45 pm

The issue I see with this is that our enemy was NOT OBL. Our enemy was the Taliban specifically, and Islamofacism in general. Think Jagang here--why didn't Richard just assasinate him? Because it wouldn't do any real good. Similarly, while OBL was undoubtably a big-wig in the Taliban he's certainly not the ONLY bigwig, and any organization with the ability to pull off half the stuff they have would have a well-structured chain of command. Meaning that in essence all we've done is 1) make ourselves feel better, and 2) enact what will likely be a relatively minor policy change.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing the guy's dead, and no more than he's earned. However, it won't have a significant affect on the war as a whole.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead EmptyWed May 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Bingo, DW.
Back to top Go down
https://worldbuildersguild.rpg-board.net
Sponsored content

Bin Laden Dead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bin Laden Dead   Bin Laden Dead Empty

Back to top Go down

Bin Laden Dead
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The World Builders Guild :: General Discussion Forums :: General Discussion Forum-
Jump to: