Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Royal Wedding?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ForeverCrimson
Minor Character

PostSubject: Royal Wedding?   Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:11 am

Well I'm guessing most of you know about the upcoming Royal Wedding that's happening over here on Friday. I was watching the news the other morning and apparently it's really big in America? As in they have sent morning tv people and everything over here to report on it.

Given how much the media over here are bigging it up, I just wondered how true that all was? Is the news coverage of it so... excessive... as it is here?

And randomly, are any of you planning on watching it?

I came back to uni this week to escape my mums plans for it (which involved bunting, and my aunt and granny coming down to watch it with them). However, after talks with friends we're going to watch it together anyway but with a little 'help' (ahem "Royal Wedding Drinking Game" - found some brilliant rules!)...
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:51 am

elaborate on the drinking game you came up with if you please my dear Very Happy we all need a new something these days so please, don't hold back!!!!! XD
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Wouldn't call the coverage excessive, but there is more of it than I would've expected. Looks like they'll be covering it on Friday morning, but I'll be asleep for all but the last half hour. Sleep
Back to top Go down
IMagius
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:20 pm

There are plenty of advertisements regarding the wedding on TV here in Canada, but I haven't heard much talk about it like a person might expect. I know I won't be setting my alarm to watch it. Hours of pomp and ceremony for something that could have been summed up by a 2 minute "ceremony" and a couple signatures? No Thank You Smile
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:54 pm

I've seen a lot about it. I chalk it up to the fact that Americans are insatiably curious about very shallow things. Not that the wedding is shallow, or that the traditions are shallow--they're just not OUR traditions, not OUR royalty, and therefore our interest in it is very shallow. It's on par with, say, our obsession with Charlie Sheen's insanity: we're in it for the spectical.

Personally, I really have no intrest in it. Not that I think it's bad, or that other people are inferior or anything; it's just not my thing.

Quote :
Hours of pomp and ceremony for something that could have been summed up by a 2 minute "ceremony" and a couple signatures? No Thank You
When my wife and I got married the first time (fun trivia fact: we've gotten married twice, and never divorced Very Happy ) it was this exactly. We were both in the same state at the same time, a rare event in those days, so we bought a boquet, called a few friends as witnesses, and went to talk to a judge. Lasted about an hour, photos and all. The SECOND wedding took two days to prep, a day to celebrate, and a day to clean up. We considered it successful--most of the fighting was planned.
Back to top Go down
ForeverCrimson
Minor Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:04 am

Dinwar, I've heard it described exactly as you've said by a few people. I guess we have very different traditions/ceremony to you guys and naturally people are curious. I mean, I watched Obama's inauguration ceremony and that got a lot of coverage over here. When we have a new Prime Minister we don't do anything for them, so it's odd for us to see all the crowds and stuff that comes with that. Same with your 4th of July (although when I was in San Francisco for it last year I lost count of the number of people who said, "Oh you're English... Do you celebrate the 4th of July of there?" *head-meet-wall*)

The other thing I've heard a lot is that apparently Kate (*ahem* Catherine) is obviously quite a rags-to-riches story and with all the 'American Dream' stuff you guys have it's quite popular.

I have very little interest in it myself. I mean, it's not like I know them personally. But for once it's nice to see England being proud of being English. We actually have some flags up around the towns - we normally only have them up during sporting events, like the football and rugby world cups! So I'm going to watch it with friends and enjoy a drink... or many!

Carnage, there's a facebook group with the rules on it. I didn't make them up sadly but they are as follows (edited to be a little more swear-word friendly. Also, they have a very British sense of humour attached to them!):

Quote :
1. If the Queen is on the screen you must be drinking. The woman has ruled the country for over 50 years, the least you can do is get destroyed in her honour.

2. Any time Prince Harry appears all players must produce a Nazi salute. The last player to do so must consume 5 fingers/mouthfuls for their poor reactions.

3. If Elton John is spotted the last person to shout "Candle in the Wind" must drink 5.

4. Any time time paralells are drawn to the Diana and Charles wedding (or any previous Royal Wedding for that matter), by commentators or otherwise, all players must consume 3 fingers/mouthfuls of their drink.

5.We're British (or shall assume the role for the day), which means we're a simple folk who enjoy comforts such as bacon and beer. With this in mind then, what better way to greet our anthem than with a hearty chug. As a result when the National Anthem is playing, everyone must be stood up and drinking.

6.William will one day become king of this fine country, a fact that needs to be celebrated no? Every time the word "future" is said, in the mentioned context or not, an amount no less than 1 finger must be added to the "Future Kings Cup" by any player. This should then go in a clockwise direction from the first player to do so everytime future is mentioned, to ensure the cup has a good mix of drinks.

7. And following on from Rule 6, The last person to shout "God save the future King!" upon the proclamation of "I now pronounce you man and wife" has to down the Future King's Cup. I fear for those that are last here, I really do.

8. Prince Phillip has found a warm place in many of our hearts, his "Racist Grandad" appeal simply too hard too dislike. As a result, whenever he is shown independant of the Queen (to avoid complications with rule 1), the last player to shout "Bloody Foreigners" must drink 3 fingers. Penalties can be awarded for anyone who makes no attempt to imitate his accent.

9. Prime Ministers never tend to be popular, but our current one is hated even by those standards. So to allow you all to "stick it to da man" whenever our fearless leader David Cameron appears on screen, the first player to shout "c***" (substitute for a less offensive word if necessary) is allowed to come up with a rule of their own. Enjoy your one chance at tyranny!

10.Whenever the union flag appears on screen, the first to shout "rule brittania" is bestowed with the honor of delegating four measures however they see fit, one for each nation of the UK. This can either be to single player, or spread amongst them. Make sure our great flag is honoured with the drinking it deserves!

There we have it then, the 10 rules for what could be the least remembered Royal Wedding in history. It's been emotional!

I'm not sure how well we'll actually do at sticking to these... Considering the wedding coverage kicks off at 8am I don't think being drunk by lunchtime is the best idea so we may cheat a little and substitute some of the alcohol for juice. Plus, we did want to wander into town to check out the street party happening there.
Back to top Go down
RainCloud
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Actually, a lot of my friends are specifically not watching it. Which is weird, considering Hawaii still wants to be part of England.

Seriously though, what's bigger than a British royal wedding? It is going to be one of the biggest events in history. Why not be able to say "Yeah! I watched that live!" to your children and grandchildren? (although, if you have work or school in the morning, its understandable to avoid that. After all, I assume it will be replayed later that day). Thus, I for one will be watching it. Plus its going to be really pretty and there's still that romanticism about a girl becoming a princess (literally lol) on her wedding day.

Since I'll be watching it at like 2 am, though, no drinking. Not that I drink anyways though... Its going to make a longggg day for me cuz I have school on Friday and then am going clubbing for the first time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:05 pm

That's an interesting game!!!! for the most part I understand it...there are some I don't understand but from most of the rules sounds too easy to get wasted in the middle of the day lol
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Quote :
although when I was in San Francisco for it last year I lost count of the number of people who said, "Oh you're English... Do you celebrate the 4th of July of there?" *head-meet-wall*
Yeah.....I grew up in Ohio, and make no claims about the sanity of Californians. Very Happy Driving on the 405 most days is enough to convince me that, were it not for CA's massive infrastructure, these people would starve to death because they couldn't figure out that the fruit in the trees is the same as the stuff in the store.

Quote :
So I'm going to watch it with friends and enjoy a drink... or many!

I'm professionally obligated to advocating drinking in large quantities. Very Happy

Quote :
Seriously though, what's bigger than a British royal wedding? It is going to be one of the biggest events in history. Why not be able to say "Yeah! I watched that live!" to your children and grandchildren?
The thing is, that's second-handed, particularly for Americans. I wouldn't actually be DOING anything--merely basking in the reflected glow of someone else's culture. Besides, with as much historic stuff as has happened in my lifetime (Oklahoma City building bombed, 9/11, Minesota bridge collaps, the Space Station, Mir being decommissioned, the missions currently active on Mars, the discovery of over I think 900 exoplanets, the discovery of Earth-sized exoplanets, the downgraiding of Pluto to dwarf planet, confirmed evidence of a star being ripped apart by a black hole, the discovery of squishy dinosaur bits, the Iraq War, the Afghan War, the new war, the FiRST Gulf War, the dissolution of the USSR.....) a wedding, which is at heart a private matter (at least if the rags-to-riches story holds true), isn't exactly going to be high on the list. Important, yes--but for another culture.
Back to top Go down
RainCloud
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Din:
Okay, maybe it would be more fair for me to add that my grandmother is English and my dad grew up there. And I myself have met Princess Margaret (although I'm sure neither of us appreciate that event lol. I was like three, we were on the beach, and my parents didn't tell me who that mean old lady was until after I made a fool of myself.) So I guess I have residual English patriotism (I mean, my home growing up was closer to an English home than an American one, from what I can tell).

Also, I have managed to miss most of the other epic happenings so far in my lifetime so I need something Razz Of all the stuff you mentioned, Din, I would say I remember the Oklahoma City bombing, 9/11, and the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. And the Pluto thing.
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:54 pm

I should amend my statement--I have no problem with anyone being interested in the wedding. It IS a big deal. I'm just giving my reasons for not watching it.

And my family loves trivia. References to most of those things have a nasty habit of popping up unexpectedly. So I remember a lot of really weird historical stuff. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:08 am

I watched it in work on the internet. It was amazing how quiet the office was for that hour. I think there was only about one phone call. And then I watched the highlights again last night. I quite enjoyed it. They both looked stunning and I wish them every happiness.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:51 am

I did my best efforts to avoid the wedding at all costs.

Even when it was posted to my forum.

Alas... I've never been able to stay out of a thread for long...

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain.

We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://worldbuildersguild.forumotion.net
ForeverCrimson
Minor Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Sat May 14, 2011 10:13 am

Ha ha Rainshadow!

Well we watched it, and drank. But didn't follow the rules in the end. We tried to but as they had a 10min continuous shot of the Queen arriving at Westminster Abbey we decided we'd die if we attempted it (see Rule 1 for explanation!).

It was a fun day anyway.
Back to top Go down
Hippocampus
Minor Character

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:07 pm

ForeverCrimson wrote:
The other thing I've heard a lot is that apparently Kate (*ahem* Catherine) is obviously quite a rags-to-riches story and with all the 'American Dream' stuff you guys have it's quite popular.
She is a millionaire's daughter! I doubt that anyone truly ragged would have been allowed to share a house with Willy Winsor while he was at University.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Royal Wedding?   

Back to top Go down

Royal Wedding?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1