Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Alex & Me

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BrassButtons
Primary Character

PostSubject: Alex & Me   Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:03 pm

How much impact could a one-pound ball of feathers have on the world?

This is the question Dr. Irene Pepperberg asks at the start of Alex & Me. Alex was an African Grey parrot, who came from the humble origins of a pet shop in Chicago, but who would go on to revolutionize our understanding of animal intelligence. In three decades of research Alex demonstrated abilities that no one thought possible in non-mammals. He could label objects. He could count. He didn't just mimic words--he communicated.

With this book Irene shares what her life with Alex was like. The trials of desperately needing funding when nobody thought talking to birds was real science; the humor of having Alex say and do things nobody thought he could do, but which were hilariously appropriate; and the pain of his passing. Despite all her efforts to remain detached and objective, Irene was touched deeply by this bird. Her passion, both for him and for the work they did, is inspiring.

If you have even a passing interest in the study of animal intelligence--or even if you're just an animal lover--then I strongly recommend this book.

"You be good. I love you."
~Alex's final words to Irene, September 6, 2007
Back to top Go down
IMagius
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Alex & Me   Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:08 pm

I didn't know there had been a book written about Alex. I've seen a few different specials on Nature Channel, Discovery, etc.. focusing on Alex & Irene. Very surreal to see what that parrot was capable of.

Thanks for reviewing this book, it'll certainly be on my future reading list now Smile
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: Alex & Me   Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:56 pm

I may never pick up the book, but I have some youtubing to do... LOL Thanks BB!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain.

We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://worldbuildersguild.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alex & Me   

Back to top Go down

Alex & Me
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1