Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

So excited!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: So excited!   Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Some of you know the story. I know the core of you does (mainly my fellow admin and mods) but I will give a brief summary of events. A year ago at this time dad and I were working for Scott County Hospital as members of the environmental services department.

In Sept of 09, my dad fell on the drive at home in the evening. Mom and my sister, Ashley, were home with him at the time of the incident and say that he was acting strange before it all went down. Anyway, after Mom finally coaxed out of him that he'd fallen while he was outside, they rushed him to the ER. He was apparently quite beligerent that night... though he remembered none of it later on. Anywho, he spent a few nights in the hospital while they ran a series of tests. It was later concluded by his "expert" doctors that his fall occurred due to a mini-stroke (or possibly a series of them).

Fast forward a few weeks. Dad is struggling with his right arm. Seriously struggling. He goes in to have in checked; an MRI reveals that he has torn a tendon in his shoulder. A serious tear, one that they don't know if it can be fixed. He works through it for a time, but at last, on February 25, 2010, he goes in for surgery. The doctor who performed the operation was, in a word, "perfect". The surgery goes down without a hitch. Dad's fine, but he needs to take some time off, obviously, before he returns to work. For what it's worth, the doctor told Mom and Dad that it was the worst tear he had ever seen; essentially the tendon was hanging on by the thinnest of fibers possible to avoid completely popping off.

Fast forward again. Three months later. Dad recieves permission from the physical therapist to return to work. Karma Huck, his boss (and mine) at the time, tells him "see you Monday". This was a Thursday. On Friday, AFTER I had gotten off work, Karma calls Dad into her office.

She fires him, no explanation given. Apparently in Kansas, you don't have to give a reason for termination. I looked it up, and the law is there. Obviously if you can prove wrongful termination, you can win a court case, but the terminating party never has to explain their reasons. Of course, I believe there was wrongful termination involved. They canned him on the day after he turned in his notice to return to work! Pardon my French, but **** them.

Obviously this led to some decisions down the road, both Mom and Dad's decisions, as well as a key one of my own. Dad switched doctors and will never step foot in that place for the rest of his life, unless it's in the ER, and from there, after he is stabilized, he will demand transfer to his new hospital, 35 miles down the road in Garden City. Later on, I too left the hospital, of my own accord. I actually only stayed on because I desperately wanted to meet my administration buddies (and DuDZie/Gwynasyn/Calwyn) at Comic Con in San Diego, and I couldn't do that being jobless). Last September, of course, I told my boss to stick in (I actually left the right way, which was more than they deserved) and moved to Manhattan, KS, The Little Apple, which for a long time had been my home away from home.

Meanwhile Dad and Mom learn things through the hospital in Garden and Dad's very fine new physician that are pretty scary. Turns out the bastard doctor in Scott City has pretty much been killing Dad for the past 30 years. Never once has he given Dad helpful advice, and the scar tissue on Dad's heart are clear implications of a heart attack suffered sometime in the recent past. We suspect that Dad suffered his heart attack back in September of 09... and the blasted doctors didn't even think to look into the possibility while they had him lying in bed for three days.

Dad's had heart surgery since and healthwise he's doing better now than he has in years. He's lost a ton of weight, eating right, and despite being unemployed he's done something he hasn't attempted to do in years: he's taking care of himself. I'm so proud of him!

But I haven't been so excited for him as I am today. I got off the phone with him an hour ago, having learned that as of today, he is no longer unemployed! He's working at a local hotel (built just a few years ago) at the front desk. He actually has my same schedule, funny enough (he does start an hour later, and gets off at the same time). I think it's kind've amusing that he'll be doing the night shifts... hope that tired ole body of his can handle it.

What a huge burden to be lifted off his shoulders. I knew it was killing him inside not to be working, and it was hard on Mom especially trying to hold a job she hated and support the both of them.

I actually feel better now than I did after K-State beat KU on Monday night.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain.

We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://worldbuildersguild.forumotion.net
Calwyn
Sidekick

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 pm

Thats great to hear Austin! Well... its great to hear that he's healthy and has a job again. Its not so awesome that his former employer is an enormous puss-bag and tried to kill him for 30 years. You need me to swing by the hospital and set some things on fire for ya? Wink

"What mood is that?"

"Last minute panic.”
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:31 pm

They aren't worth the effort. In the end, we think Karma actually saved his life by firing him. I don't know if he'd still be with us today if he continued working in that place. I mean, he'd had a heart attack and they didn't even bother to consider the possibility. That's a lot of dead tissue; I really think he was on the verge of a massive heart attack prior to his surgery a few months ago.

Of course, she didn't fire him because she thought she was saving his life. She fired him because she had grown scornful we think, because Dad had dared to stand up to her.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain.

We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it.
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:23 pm

Glad to hear things are improving for your dad.
Back to top Go down
IMagius
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:21 pm

That's great to hear RS! Sucks that his previous condition was ignored/missed, but at least someone found it before it killed him.

Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks guys. Smile

Back to top Go down
RainCloud
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:12 am

That's so crazy...30 years is a long time. I'm glad he's doing better, and has a job Very Happy That's so wonderful. I'm happy for you, and your family!
Back to top Go down
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Great news that your dad is doing well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:10 pm

He had his first official night shift last night... can't wait to tease him... LOL

Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:55 pm

its great to hear he's doing fine.

so how does scar tissue form because of heart attack? I never knew such a thing could happen.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Pretty much a part of the heart dies when you have a heart attack. At least that's how I understood it.

Back to top Go down
Professor X
Founder of the X-Men
Founder of the X-Men

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:23 am

Sorry to be late here, but it is great news that you Father is doing well. I wish him the best of luck with his new job!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So excited!   

Back to top Go down

So excited!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1