The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
PyroMancer
Admin
Admin
PyroMancer

Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card Empty
PostSubject: Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card   Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 2:08 pm

I don't know how many of you have read any of OSC's work, but if you're a fan of Ender's Game and it's numerous sequels (which you should be cause they ROCK), then you absolutely MUST have this book.

Ender in Exile tells the story of what happened to the youngest war hero ever immediately after defeating the formics. Card fills in numerous gaps and ties up a few stories left behind by the other books.

Simply put, the books is amazing. Card's insights into humanity are beyond impressive. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time, and reaffirms the series as the best SciFi series I've ever read.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card   Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 4:31 pm

The only book I've read of his is Ender's Game. I tried reading the second one, but I think I only made it like 5 pages in.

Personally, I can't separate my feelings from how much I dislike Orson as a person, to try to read anymore of his books. And I doubt I will be able to watch the movie version of EG either. I don't want to support him in any way. But, that's just me.

(If you're wondering why I dislike him so much, a lot of it has to do with his wanting to overthrow the government if gay marriage is allowed. It's not my only problem with the man, but this is the biggest.) http://laist.com/2008/08/01/orson_scott_card_scifi_writer_will.php
Back to top Go down
PyroMancer
Admin
Admin
PyroMancer

PostSubject: Re: Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card   Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 5:21 pm

I know the guy's kind of a nut job, but I've always tried to separate writer from written (I mean come on, I've rarely heard anyone say kind words about Goodkind...)
Quite frankly, very little of his politics shows through in the series.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card   Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 10:48 pm

Sure. I'm just saying that I personally cannot separate the two. Not that others shouldn't be able to do otherwise. Just that, among other things, I live in a town where his opinion is printed in my paper. And his opinion is bat shit crazy. And I've no desire to give him my business.

Back to top Go down
PyroMancer
Admin
Admin
PyroMancer

PostSubject: Re: Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card   Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 2:34 am

Lol ok. I understand. It's a shame though cause, bat shit crazy or not, Card is probably one of the greatest SF writers in the history of the genre. The philosophy and values he intertwines with his books show nothing of what his political views are. Or at least not crazy ones. Strong family values and compassion are at the core of his stories, and part of the reason I love them so much.

I could give examples of how separate different the story and his life are, but frankly I can't give them justice with my own words.

I thought about preaching at you more about this guy, but I figure you've had about as much of that as you can take regarding him. Lol

I don't feel like I'm supporting the man when I read his books. Just the genre, the story itself, and my ability to be entertained by them.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card   Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 4:39 pm

PyroMancer wrote:
I don't feel like I'm supporting the man when I read his books. Just the genre, the story itself, and my ability to be entertained by them.

Personally, I can't think of buying his books as anything other than supporting him. Not supporting his beliefs per say, but supporting his ability to put food on his table. Supporting his livelihood. Which is something I have no desire to do.

I would never buy food from a known member of the KKK. I understand his right to his beliefs, but i have no desire for my money to feed him. Just like with Card. Whose crazy beliefs and loud mouthed opinions are just as poisonous.

*SHRUG* But like i said, it's all me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card   Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card Empty

Back to top Go down

Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card
Page 1 of 1