The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Books

Go down 
+10
IMagius
RainCloud
HiddenShadows
Deano
kahrhoshe
Professor X
Confessor Kahlan
Calwyn
Memnoch
lalib
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

Favorite Books - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 2:28 pm

I'd rank Brett just behind Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss myself, and those two are my favourite fantasy authors.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Okay. I'll give it a shot.

Have you tried any of Jim Butcher's books, Brian?
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Not yet, but I've had my eye on his Codex series for a while now. It's on my list, which is getting shorter and shorter during this dry spell for good, new fantasy books. Come this fall and into the new year a bunch of new books are coming out that I really want to read though, so I hope I can get through them all beforehand.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Well you should definitely get on it! Poke! Razz

I read Codex before the Dresden Files. All my friends were raving about Files. And boy, were they right. They just suck you in.

And Codex is paced well, great action. And philosophically right on key.

You should definitely try both.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 3:31 pm

I'd actually bought the Warded Man already. Probably on your recommendation Dudzie. So I'll start it today i think.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Alright Brian, I just finished the Warded Man. I liked it a lot. I'll need to go pick up the second one.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Haha that's good! The second is different than the first. I liked it more, but I know others were kinda put off.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 3:54 am

Just finished Desert Spear. It was a little off putting at first. But, I think I liked it as much as book one. Can't wait for book 3. Thanks for the recommendation Brian. You start Butcher yet?
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 am

I did warn you it's different. Wink

I haven't started him yet, no. A bunch of new books are coming out starting this month so I won't really have time for a new big series for a while. I'll get to him eventually, though.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 11:33 pm

I know you did. That's why I said it. Razz

Screw those other books! Butcher all the way! Butcher for life! Butcher for president!

. . .

I may of gotten a little carried away. Please forgive me.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Butcher will have to take a back seat to Abercrombie, Brett, Sanderson/Jordan, Erikson, and a couple of others that I can't remember off the top of my head. Razz
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 2:33 pm

You have like 4 months till the next Jordan book. Plenty of time to read some Butcher. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:23 am

It's not just Jordan though, that's the thing. Over the next few months there's new books from (in order of release): Cooper, Lynch (maybe), Weeks, Erikson, Abercrombie, Jordan/Sanderson, Brett, and Abraham. Some of them will warrant re-reads of the series, at least partially - I only plan to re-read the previous two books of the Wheel of Time for instance.

But fear not! I will get to Butcher eventually. Razz
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 12:36 am

talonnolan wrote:
I know you did. That's why I said it. Razz

Screw those other books! Butcher all the way! Butcher for life! Butcher for president!

. . .

I may of gotten a little carried away. Please forgive me.
As I've just spent the last week or so consuming the Codex Alera, I wholeheartedly second this notion.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 2:16 am

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed them. Have you tried the Dresden Files?
Back to top Go down
Memnoch
Secondary Character
Memnoch

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:17 pm

I love the Dresden Files simply to death, found the Codex Alera hard to devote time into.... maybe i need to give book two another chance.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Just finished The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks, the second book in the Lightbringer series after Black Prism. It's an underrated series, I think. It's not the best by any means but it is certainly entertaining in its plot twists and characters/character development with a unique magic system. I'd rank it behind Rothfuss/Sanderson/Brett, but ahead of Erikson/Sullivan or shit even Martin (who I am not as big a fan of as others).

Speaking of Erikson, I am now moving onto his new book The Forge of Darkness. It's the same world, lore and even some of the same characters from his big Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 2:56 am

talonnolan wrote:
Awesome! Glad you enjoyed them. Have you tried the Dresden Files?
Quite so, just started Blood Rites.

Calwyn wrote:
Just finished The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks, the second book in the Lightbringer series after Black Prism. It's an underrated series, I think. It's not the best by any means but it is certainly entertaining in its plot twists and characters/character development with a unique magic system. I'd rank it behind Rothfuss/Sanderson/Brett, but ahead of Erikson/Sullivan or shit even Martin (who I am not as big a fan of as others).
Bloody hell, hadn't heard a sequel was out yet. Damn list just keeps getting longer.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 2:13 am

I tried reading The Way of Shadows but I just couldn't get into it. I do believe I got over 100 pages into it. That's enough of a try for me.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 am

I couldn't either, Pete, but Lightbringer is a new series that's a lot better IMO.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Hm... maybe I'll give it a shot in January.

Though my Wheel of Time reread will be interrupted in November by Butchers new book. Unless I'm already done with my reread. At the pace i'm going be done about mid December. But we'll see.
Back to top Go down
ForeverCrimson
Minor Character
ForeverCrimson

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm just re-reading one of my favourite books at the moment after having not picked it up in a couple of years... My 1964 copy of "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller. Once again I find myself remembering/rediscovering what a joy it is!

Anyone else read it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Books
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2