Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Favourite movies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Calwyn
Sidekick

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:27 am

Dinwar wrote:
Quote :
Sorry to ask this Din, but isn't saying "Any Python with a plot isn't
real Python" a no true Scotsman Razz
No. The group defined THEMSELVES as nonsensical, at least in terms of their previous styles.

I'd say that being nonsensical was only ONE of their styles - and they had many. Randomness was one, spoof and satire lesser ones, sarcasm, political commentary, philosophical... and so on.

All of those are present in Holy Grail. The ranting of the man about oppression and such to King Arthur is my favourite scene of any Monty Python... show or movie. It's just utterly brilliant, and nonsensical too Wink

"What mood is that?"

"Last minute panic.”
Back to top Go down
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:34 am

StephenH wrote:
I only saw equilibrium because it was recommended to me by someone you all know.

I'm going to have to watch that someday. It was on tv a while back and I was just too tired that night to stay up and watch it and couldn't be bothered recording. Next time it's on, definitely.
Back to top Go down
Professor X
Founder of the X-Men
Founder of the X-Men

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:49 am

I enjoyed Equilibrium as well. I only saw it because one of my favorite actors was in it originally, but I found myself enjoying it nontheless!

carnage rahl
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:02 am

Confessor Kahlan wrote:
StephenH wrote:
I only saw equilibrium because it was recommended to me by someone you all know.

I'm going to have to watch that someday. It was on tv a while back and I was just too tired that night to stay up and watch it and couldn't be bothered recording. Next time it's on, definitely.

national tv won't do it justice. try to find it without edits
Back to top Go down
kahrhoshe
Minor Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 am

StephenH wrote:
kahrhoshe wrote:
Bats Begins was almost as bad as Batman and Robin.

Is that a joke?

Nope, its the opinion of a 40 year old batman comic collector from the eighties who stopped collecting when they started to reinvent superheroes. And as far as the Storyline, IMO, they butchered the whole thing as this was one of THE pivotal storylines of the whole batman legend.

I just was far from impressed with the whole thing. Ok, maybe i overstated how bad i thought it was.

but since Batman and Robin was obviously a take on the TV show and not really the movies, how can you call it bad? It was no worse than the Tv show, and it never took itself seriously, just like the tv show.

But i do believe that B n R was, by far the worst batman movie. (mostly because the actors just didnt fit, even if it was a take on the tv show.)

But, as i stand, begins was close to the bottom on the batman movies, for me.
Back to top Go down
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:09 am

carnage rahl wrote:
Confessor Kahlan wrote:
StephenH wrote:

Movies aren't edited for tv where I live.
Back to top Go down
lalib
Friendly Neighborhood Terrorist
Friendly Neighborhood Terrorist

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:45 pm

I must say that Equilibrium is also one of my favorite movies, preciesely b/c of the philosophical implications present in it.

Other movies I highly enjoy:
Memento
LotR
Princess Bride
The Matrix (there is only one matrix movie )
The Dark Knight
Watchmen (read the comic after the movie and I enjoyed that as well)

I do have to admit that the only Python I'm familiar with is MP and the Holy Grail. But did enjoy that!

NOTE: My interjection regarding books has now been moved (along with subsequient comments) to Favorite Books

the Lorentz - Fitzgerald contraction
reduced his rapier to a disk!

Last edited by lalib on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add Hyperlink + Clarification)
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Confessor Kahlan wrote:
carnage rahl wrote:
Confessor Kahlan wrote:
StephenH wrote:

Movies aren't edited for tv where I live.

WHAAA!!!! how is this possible? explain yourself!!!
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 pm

I believe she's British. Europe censorship is not nearly as strict as it is here in the US.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain.

We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://worldbuildersguild.forumotion.net
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:03 am

carnage rahl wrote:

rainshadow wrote:
I believe she's British. Europe censorship is not nearly as strict as it is here in the US.

Irish, but yeah, it's nowhere near as strict over here. And even Britain is stricter than Ireland. Nothing like hearing the F*** word on tv at three o'clock on a Sunday afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Quote :
Nope, its the opinion of a 40 year old batman comic collector from the eighties who stopped collecting when they started to reinvent superheroes. And as far as the Storyline, IMO, they butchered the whole thing as this was one of THE pivotal storylines of the whole batman legend.
That's something I find interesting about art--when you translate art from one medium to another, you get an instant divide between those who point to similarities/differences between the two forms, and those who appreciate the translated art as a novel work in and of itself.

I'm of the first camp when it comes to LotS, for example. (No, I don't want to get into the debate--merely showing that both are acceptable ways to view the art, by showing that I utilize both.) For Batman Begins, I'm willing to set aside the comic books and deal with the movie on its own merits. As a stand-alone movie (assume that instead of Batman it was the exact same movie, only called Ferretman or something), it blows the previous Batman movies out of the water. It shows the dark, brooding side of Batman without sacrificing the heroism in him, and it's fun without being campy. As part of the Batman cannon, it's horrifying. They screwed up THE BATMOBILE, one of the most iconic cars to ever hit the silver screen.

I wonder how much of our preferences for movies stem from things outside of the movies themselves. I know that Equilibrium wouldn't have hit me so hard had I not gone from Tetragrhamaton to human myself. But that's not part of the movie, despite my inability to view the movie through any other lens. Same thing with LOTR--so long as Jackson didn't mangle it horribly it was going to be a good movie, because it's inextricably linked to one of my favorite books.
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Confessor Kahlan wrote:
carnage rahl wrote:

rainshadow wrote:

Irish, but yeah, it's nowhere near as strict over here. And even Britain is stricter than Ireland. Nothing like hearing the F*** word on tv at three o'clock on a Sunday afternoon.

it all makes perfect sense now. and here I thought you were from the states all this time.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:49 pm

I shoulda known that.

Oh well. I like Ireland better anyway.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain.

We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it.
Back to top Go down
StephenH
Minor Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:32 pm

kahrhoshe wrote:
StephenH wrote:
kahrhoshe wrote:
Bats Begins was almost as bad as Batman and Robin.

Is that a joke?

I just was far from impressed with the whole thing. Ok, maybe i overstated how bad i thought it was.

but since Batman and Robin was obviously a take on the TV show and not really the movies, how can you call it bad? It was no worse than the Tv show, and it never took itself seriously, just like the tv show.

But i do believe that B n R was, by far the worst batman movie. (mostly because the actors just didnt fit, even if it was a take on the tv show.)

But, as i stand, begins was close to the bottom on the batman movies, for me.

Firstly I didn't like the TV series. It was campy and not what I envisinged Batman as being. Hence why I don't like Batman and Robin.

Having said that, regardless of the fact that Bat Begins may have changed some of the story for the film, the character of Batman in BB is the batman I always wanted. A far better character in BB then in any other Batman movie. A far better portrayal (as far as I see it) Of the character and his ideals. More adult in how they approached it I think.
Back to top Go down
kahrhoshe
Minor Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:17 pm

StephenH wrote:

Firstly I didn't like the TV series. It was campy and not what I envisinged Batman as being. Hence why I don't like Batman and Robin.

Having said that, regardless of the fact that Bat Begins may have changed some of the story for the film, the character of Batman in BB is the batman I always wanted. A far better character in BB then in any other Batman movie. A far better portrayal (as far as I see it) Of the character and his ideals. More adult in how they approached it I think.

And thats an opinion, no less valid than my own and i would never fault you for it.

and if you always wanted the BB batman, then i suggest you read the Batman collection i have in my basement which is FAR better than BB or any Bats movie ever made.

But yet again, its my opinion. but i do believe that anyone who read the Rhas al Ghoul storyline(yeah problably not spelt right but hey im drinking here!) in the comic, thinks it was a far better storyline than ANY of the movies.

Din-- somehow, and i dont know why, i can look past the lots vs sot comparison but yet i cannot look past comics vs movies or tv.

maybe its the age LOL
Back to top Go down
StephenH
Minor Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:19 am

Oh I completely understand that yours is your opinion. No slight intended at all.

Would you agree though, storyline comparisons aside, that Batman in the BB movie is a far better batman then in previous incarnations?

Would you care to fill me in on the Rhas Al Ghul Storyline as it pertains to the comics? I'd be interested to see it.
Back to top Go down
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:32 am

carnage rahl wrote:

it all makes perfect sense now. and here I thought you were from the states all this time.

"So my dear, you've discovered my little secret."

rainshadow wrote:
I shoulda known that.

Oh well. I like Ireland better anyway.

Yay.
Back to top Go down
kahrhoshe
Minor Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:36 am

StephenH wrote:
Oh I completely understand that yours is your opinion. No slight intended at all.

Would you agree though, storyline comparisons aside, that Batman in the BB movie is a far better batman then in previous incarnations?

Would you care to fill me in on the Rhas Al Ghul Storyline as it pertains to the comics? I'd be interested to see it.

You'd have to pick up the series to get it, more than just me telling you differences and stuff. Id have to go back and find all of them to be able to tell you exactly which ones to pick up and read to be honest.

As far as BB's Batman as a character being better in these movies, id go with a yes but. I liked CB's portrayal as the gritty, bats over every other, aside from Micheal Keatons Batman. Batman had 2 personas over the years MK hit his early years DEAD on, where Bales Bats captured his gritty persona, aside from the annoying gravel voice(which i think if done by another actor may have passed better, maybe his voice just doesnt work well with gravelly lol).

So overall, sure CB's bats and MK's bats, for me, were the 2 best, at different ends of the batman spectrum character wise.

Dk was great because it was really the first batman movie where the villian was spot on, and the Hero was spot on. Where in all the other movies, the villian was either a joke, or just not going down the right path storywise, or just plain silly. Which i could actually take back then, since i just looked at them as a combination of Tv show and the early comics.
Back to top Go down
Memnoch
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:31 am

Back to top Go down
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:43 am

So Equilibrium was on tv again last night and I watched it. I really quite enjoyed it. Even the 'Bloody Hell!!' bits (arms being snapped and faces falling off ) I get a bit squeamish.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Sun May 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Just watched The King's Speech and it was bloody brilliant.

Back to top Go down
IMagius
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Sun May 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Not sure how I missed this thread entirely ...

Oh My! How do I pick just one lonely movie? Maybe one from each genre? It all depends on what I feel like watching as to which of the half dozen or so I will pick from.

A Knight's Tale: I don't care how inacurate it is, how corny some parts may be ... for me this is just a fun movie with a great story Smile

French Kiss/You've Got Mail: Don't care which one I grab, either is equally good. Why? Meg Ryan! *drool*

A couple others at the top of the pile for various reasons:
Batman Begins
Hidalgo
Sahara
A Good Year

So hard to pick "favorite" movies Sad ... it's very hard to compare old favorites to newer movies ... Romancing the Stone, Jewel of the Nile, Indianna Jones, and a host fo others were all favorites of mine at some point - but with better filming techniques, etc.. other movies tend to take their places, though I'll still sit and spend the time to watch them on occasion.

King's Speech was quite good - not top 10 for me, but I think it would be top 50.
Back to top Go down
Professor X
Founder of the X-Men
Founder of the X-Men

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Tue May 17, 2011 10:21 pm

King's Speech was indeed a great movie.

Recently saw Thor and it was amazing. Hoping that X-Men: First Class and Captain America: The First Avenger are as good!

carnage rahl
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Tue May 17, 2011 11:58 pm

i'm a bit sad that my movie hopping experience this summer is gonna be a bust if I don't find a job, but I have to say that this is gonna be one hell of a summer if Marvel stay on the roll that got going so far with their summer jump!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ForeverCrimson
Minor Character

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed May 18, 2011 5:21 am

Fawlty Towers is NOT a spin-off to Monty Python. Just because John Cleese did it doesn't make them related at all. That's like saying Pole-to-Pole was Monty Pythonesque just because Michael Palin did it. Grrrr. (Sorry, British, very protective of our shows Razz ) But both are brilliant. If you guys like British comedy I could put up a few recommended watching videos... Very Happy

I'm not sure what I can really put down as 'favourite' movies. My tastes change a lot and I go through phases of liking some more than others. There are a few though that I tend to be able to watch whatever my mood so I suppose they could be classed as 'favourites'. In no particular order:

- A Knight's Tale
- Iron Man
- The Endless Summer (and The Endless Summer II)
- Cars
- Mamma Mia

Hmmm... they tend to all be fairly light-hearted and easy watching. It doesn't really do my film tastes justice at all. I mean, I love films like The Dark Knight, Equilibrium, Star Trek, Rock'n'Rolla, Fight Club, Wanted, etc etc. but I don't always feel in the mood to watch them.

My two latest favourites are 'The Fighter' and 'Thor'.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   

Back to top Go down

Favourite movies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next