Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...
 
PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Favourite movies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character
avatar

Posts : 810
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 44
Location : In the palace at Farilay

PostSubject: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:59 am

What's your favourite movie and why do you like it?

My favourite is E.T.: The Extraterrestrial. I was nine years old when ET was first released and I remember going to see it on a Sunday afternoon with my family. I had always been interested in aliens and space and had been looking forward to seeing it for ages. It totally surpassed my expectations. I could really identify with Elliot. The middle child with an older brother and younger sister who got to experience what I had been wishing for throughout my entire childhood - to meet an alien. (The things you wish for when you're a kid, eh? ) Anyway, it really made an impact on me so I went back to see it again the following Saturday. And I have seen it countless times since then. And, yes, I will admit it - I do cry every single time I watch it.

So that's my favourite movie.

What's yours - and why???


Last edited by Confessor Kahlan on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : different avatar)
Back to top Go down
Memnoch
Secondary Character
avatar

Posts : 248
Join date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 am

Favorite movie:
Primer
http://primermovie.com/trailer.html

Honorable Mention:
Apocalypse Now
Best in Show
Schindler's List
Hotel Rwanda
Blackhawk Down
Food Inc
The Dark Knight
The Machinist
Equilibrium
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character
avatar

Posts : 513
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 28
Location : Where Chaos Of The World Converge

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:23 pm

I see you have three christian bale movies down there memnoch? what's that about I wonder?

right now:

avatar(love it)
who framed roger rabbit(has me literally rolling on the floor)
Harry potter and the half blood prince(soundtrack is so freakin' sweet)
Crash(epic film all the way through)
Back to top Go down
Memnoch
Secondary Character
avatar

Posts : 248
Join date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:05 pm

I've followed his career since Empire of the Sun. While the whole yelling at that sound-director was .... poor, and despite getting totally and utterly eclipsed by Ledger in TDK, I am still an adamant fan of his. Plus I enjoy edgy, gritty, avant garde stuff - of which he did a lot of before "stardom".
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
avatar

Posts : 2294
Join date : 2009-05-25
Age : 36
Location : SW Kansas

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:15 pm

I'll respond to this thread with my own movie title a little later on, but I wanted to comment on Bale and Ledger...

Frankly, ANYONE would have been out-performed by Ledger. It was one of the best roles I had ever seen as a villain. He took his place at the top of the totem pole of a great many movie villains. Excellent performance.

Yes, Bale's performance was much less than was Ledger's but I think that is partially the fault of the material. Batman as a character, done right, is never and never should be as flashy as Joker.

_________________

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain.

We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://worldbuildersguild.forumotion.net
Memnoch
Secondary Character
avatar

Posts : 248
Join date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:56 pm

It's just the dumb voice that grates for me. Otherwise he is a fine Batman. Best one probably.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
avatar

Posts : 1067
Join date : 2009-06-03
Age : 30
Location : Ercildoune

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:33 pm

Favorite movie: Good Will Hunting

Honorable Mention: Lord of the Rings, Kingdom of Heaven, Dogma, MP's Holy Grail

_________________
"You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood."

"What mood is that?"

"Last minute panic.”
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character
avatar

Posts : 513
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 28
Location : Where Chaos Of The World Converge

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:55 pm

I see both your views memnoch and RS. makes perfect sense. I must say i still love his role in Equilibrium better than the batman roles even though he IS the best batman thus far
Back to top Go down
StephenH
Minor Character
avatar

Posts : 74
Join date : 2010-04-14
Age : 37
Location : Brisbane, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:14 pm

I actually loved Bale as Batman - and all this talk about his voice in the film I don't get. I dont' have a problem with it at all to be honest - in fact I think it fits quite fine.

Having said that - Ledger certainly did a fantastic job, just fantastic.

Also, I actually preferred Batman Begins to The Dark Knight - now don't get me wrong, I loved The Dark Knight as well, but overall, I thought BB was better.

Now onto my pick,

For so many reasons - The Abyss which I think is such an underrated movie.
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character
avatar

Posts : 513
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 28
Location : Where Chaos Of The World Converge

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:23 pm

hey steph I have yet to see that move the abyss from beginning to end yet! I have had plenty of opportunities and still haven't done it...i dont know what's wrong with me.


but must say, the water temple boss for the Legend of Zelda: ocarina of time reminds me of that one scene from the abyss where the water comes up as a long tube like thingy
Back to top Go down
Professor X
Founder of the X-Men
Founder of the X-Men
avatar

Posts : 1734
Join date : 2009-05-25
Age : 39
Location : London ON, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:37 pm

Favorite Movie: The Lord of the Rings

I LOVE this movie. So much so that I collect Statues for it! It has everything in it, Adventures, Combat, Love Story. Something for Everyone! The acting is superb and the visual effects quite amazing. Overall, the best movie I have ever seen!

_________________
You Learn Something New Every Day!
Back to top Go down
http://www.worldbuildersguild.net/
Memnoch
Secondary Character
avatar

Posts : 248
Join date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:00 am

StephenH wrote:
Also, I actually preferred Batman Begins to The Dark Knight - now don't get me wrong, I loved The Dark Knight as well, but overall, I thought BB was better

We may need to fight to the death over this S. WHile I certainly enjoyed BB when it came out, and have a very special place in my heart for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%27s_al_Ghul saying BB is better than TDK is like saying Avatar is better than ... The Matrix, or something like that. Action yes, exciting yes, but also with a depth to the characters, a window into the "soul" of humanity (or lack there of), and a narrative
on the human experience (real or imagined).



BB had some of that. But the Joker in TDK really made Liam Neeson look bad by
comparison, and I LOVE me some Liam Neeson

Oh and - now I realize that I, and all of you have all messed up ROYALLY because the
best (action) movie EVER is ...


TAKEN

I can't believe I forgot to mention that one.
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character
avatar

Posts : 513
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 28
Location : Where Chaos Of The World Converge

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:10 pm

must not have been that good since you just now thought of it Razz
Back to top Go down
StephenH
Minor Character
avatar

Posts : 74
Join date : 2010-04-14
Age : 37
Location : Brisbane, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:56 am

Memnoch wrote:
StephenH wrote:
Also, I actually preferred Batman Begins to The Dark Knight - now don't get me wrong, I loved The Dark Knight as well, but overall, I thought BB was better

We may need to fight to the death over this S. WHile I certainly enjoyed BB when it came out, and have a very special place in my heart for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%27s_al_Ghul saying BB is better than TDK is like saying Avatar is better than ... The Matrix, or something like that. Action yes, exciting yes, but also with a depth to the characters, a window into the "soul" of humanity (or lack there of), and a narrative
on the human experience (real or imagined).



BB had some of that. But the Joker in TDK really made Liam Neeson look bad by
comparison, and I LOVE me some Liam Neeson

Well, Like I said, I absolutely Loved TDK. Loved Ledger. But I loved BB just that slight little bit more.

I think BB was probably the best ORIGINS story of a "super" hero i've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
Professor X
Founder of the X-Men
Founder of the X-Men
avatar

Posts : 1734
Join date : 2009-05-25
Age : 39
Location : London ON, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:33 am

Personally I do think that Avatar is a better movie than The Matrix. But that is me.

_________________
You Learn Something New Every Day!
Back to top Go down
http://www.worldbuildersguild.net/
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character
avatar

Posts : 810
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 44
Location : In the palace at Farilay

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:23 am

Professor X wrote:
Personally I do think that Avatar is a better movie than The Matrix. But that is me.

Me too. I mean, I like The Matrix but given the choice, I would choose Avatar over it any day.
Back to top Go down
kahrhoshe
Minor Character


Posts : 51
Join date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Bats Begins was almost as bad as Batman and Robin.

Tombstone, MP's Meaning of Life, and Unforgiven are probably tied for 1st in my list just for the fact they are 3 movies, that if on, i will NEVER turn off.

Too many secondaries to mention for me.
Back to top Go down
StephenH
Minor Character
avatar

Posts : 74
Join date : 2010-04-14
Age : 37
Location : Brisbane, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:42 pm

kahrhoshe wrote:
Bats Begins was almost as bad as Batman and Robin.

Is that a joke?
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
avatar

Posts : 2294
Join date : 2009-05-25
Age : 36
Location : SW Kansas

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:07 pm

My top 5 of all time:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Lord of the Rings (I combine all 3)
3. Avatar (what it lacks in originality it makes up for in groundbreaking visuals)
4. The Lion King
5. Gladiator

And the lower 3 on that list are pretty much interchangeable, depending on my mood.

Honorable mention: Braveheart, Batman Begins.

The Dark Knight... It's my #1 because it is Batman as Batman is supposed to be. Dark, twisted, great villain that is Batman's equal. Plus, it had something that Batman Begin lacked.

It showed Batman as the World's Greatest Detective, which was an aspect that they never really explored in Batman Begins (which is also a great movie, btw).

_________________

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain.

We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://worldbuildersguild.forumotion.net
Dinwar
Primary Character


Posts : 412
Join date : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:02 am

Favorite Movie: Equilibrium. No contest. Nothing else is even close. This ranks up there with Faith of the Fallen and Orinoco Flow.

Reasoning: First, the initial impact. I saw this movie because a friend had borrowed it from another friend, and within 20 minutes of watching it had bought it. I have never done that with any other movie.

Second, this movie shows, in concrete form, a very complex philosophical issue I had only recently untangled--the role of emotions in the life of a logical person. That scene where the woman was being burned.....I still can't watch it without my eyes tearing up.

The action was frankly annoying at times. It's like they threw it in there to make money. The PHILOSOPHY was, at least to me, overpowering, and rightly so. Anyone who's ever gone from rejecting emotions to embracing them would, I don't doubt, feel the same way.

Honorable Mention: LOTR, Princess Bride, Gladiator, Star Wars, Starship Troopers (remember what the movie's intent was when you watch it--it's not supposed to be good!)

Quote :
Bats Begins was almost as bad as Batman and Robin.
Yeah, I'm going with Stephen here. There are few movies as bad as Batman and Robin. Jesus Christ: Vampire Slayer may come close (no, I'm sadly not making that one up).

Memnock: Your arguments in favor of The Dark Knight mostly focus on one single character. Hardly a reason to love a movie. A reason to enjoy a movie, certainly--but to say Movie X is better than Movie Y because Movie X has one really awesome character ignores the unity that a movie (or any artwork) is supposed to have. And I say "mostly" because you do include other arguments. However, you and I have fundamentally opposite views of humanity and what an exploration of humanity should be; thus, I can't comment on your assessment other than to say, if you think it's a good exploration of humans, I'm going to think it's trash, and vice versa.

Noteably NOT on my list: Monty Python's Holy Grail. Not because I don't enjoy it--I'm in the SCA, I'm required by tradition (and tradition is stronger than law) to be able to quote it on command. Very Happy However, I'm not convinced it was good Python, and I detest with a passion the idiots who say "I'm a MP fan" and look at you funny when you say "If it hadn't been nailed to its perch it'd be pushing up the daisies!" Anything that involves a real plot, isn't Python. Anything that makes even minimal sense, really isn't Python at their finest.

What Dreams May Come. This is only notable to me, really. I need to see this movie again. I've been reading Dante's Divine Comedy recently, and am curious as to how well the two parallel one another. And as to what differences there are. After all, this could become like the Arthur legends, changing with each generation to show what each generation sees as good, right, and important.
Back to top Go down
Memnoch
Secondary Character
avatar

Posts : 248
Join date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:33 am

Dinwar, please rent Primer, I think you'll enjoy it.

Thanks for backing up my Equilibrium mention with that post, I enjoyed reading it immensely.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
avatar

Posts : 1067
Join date : 2009-06-03
Age : 30
Location : Ercildoune

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:08 am

Sorry to ask this Din, but isn't saying "Any Python with a plot isn't real Python" a no true Scotsman Razz

I agree with you in general though. A lot of people 'love' Python without even knowing all the other Python thats out there, which is just a damn shame. Hell, even any of their spin off stuff, like Fawlty Towers, is pure gold brilliance.

But while I also agree that Holy Grail isn't the best Python of all time, I still have to say that it's my favorite. I've seen a lot of arguments as to what the better movie is. Thats not what this thread asked; it asked what our FAVOURITE movies are.


Ergo, Holy Grail is on my list where Meaning of Life might be a better Python movie B)

_________________
"You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood."

"What mood is that?"

"Last minute panic.”
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character


Posts : 412
Join date : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:16 am

Quote :
Sorry to ask this Din, but isn't saying "Any Python with a plot isn't
real Python" a no true Scotsman Razz
No. The group defined THEMSELVES as nonsensical, at least in terms of their previous styles.

In general, Monty Python wasn't about making movies. They were about making a TV show. Their style didn't translate all that well into movie form, quite frankly--the Flying Circus is infinitely better than any of the movies. Not that it really has anything to do with this discussion, it's just that this is a pet peeve of mine. Too many Python "fans" that only know the one show, and have never even heard of the Flying Circus......It's like calling yourself a Goodkind fan after only reading the Law of Nines.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
avatar

Posts : 570
Join date : 2009-05-26
Age : 36
Location : Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:17 am

I like comedies the most. My favorite movie of all time is easily Spaceballs. Yes, you read that
right. Yes, i know that its odd that a spoof movie is my favorite movie
ever. But i can't get enough of it. It's hilarious. And i really like
John Candy.

Others worth mentioning-

Shawshank Redemption
Equilibrium
Star Wars (the whole original trilogy)
Lord of the Rings
Robin Hood Men in Tights
V for Vendetta
The Princess Bride
Fifth Element
The Dark Knight
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Edit- Oh, and pretty much anything by Kevin Smith

_________________
Ego, Life, Truth, Reason.
Back to top Go down
StephenH
Minor Character
avatar

Posts : 74
Join date : 2010-04-14
Age : 37
Location : Brisbane, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:26 am

I only saw equilibrium because it was recommended to me by someone you all know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Favourite movies   

Back to top Go down
 
Favourite movies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Favourite Shinigami [V2]
» Movies! (An A-Z Game)
» Who's your favourite Bijuu
» Favourite Naruto character?
» Revisiting Some Classic Pokémon Movies

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The World Builders Guild :: General Discussion Forums :: Entertainment Drabble :: Movies-
Jump to: