The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Clash of Kings (Full Book Spoilers)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

A Clash of Kings (Full Book Spoilers) Empty
PostSubject: A Clash of Kings (Full Book Spoilers)   A Clash of Kings (Full Book Spoilers) EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 11:38 pm

Theon, Catelyn, Arya, Sansa, Jon, Tyrion, Davos, Bran, and Danerys. That's how many characters' POVs were used to follow the many plotlines that Martin had created throughout this book, and it makes me think that he's making the same mistake that Jordan made (IMO) in trying to create and follow too many storylines. Most of the book seemed to move at a snail's pace, and whenever climactic moments did come it seemed rushed. My first impression is to say that not much of anything really happened in this book, but then I remember that a lot did happen.

I know others have said that Dany would play a bigger role and her storyline in GoT was just to set up that role, so I was expecting her to be of some import by the end of this book, only to find out that her role once again can only be to set up her role in a later book. Theon's storyline seemed equally pointless, though I understand that context of the Ironmen's invasion of the North had to be given by someone his death has me shaking my head and asking 'why bother?' After all the build up of Stannis with his new god and the creepy-as-hell sorceress/priest of his and Renly with his massive army, I had a similar reaction as one and then the other fell.

That's the bad, now the good.

The rest of the storylines were still compelling. The intrigue in the palace with Tyrion in the centre had me fascinated. Sansa was even less annoying, though that isn't saying much considering she was almost as annoying as she could be in the first book. I did also like the storyline of Stannis and Renly, at least while they lasted. I'm very curious to see how Jon gets himself out of the pickle he's in, and to see what Tyrion will (or rather can) do now that he's seemingly lost everything he had built up for himself. Now I suppose the focus of the next book should turn North, with the might of the Lannister's having no other rival to deal with, with the Ironmen trying to carve out a kingdom for themselves, and with Robb having to reclaim and avenge his kingdom for the savagery it's suffered. And even Dany seems poised to FINALLY be of some import.

Looking forward to the next book!
Back to top Go down
Memnoch
Secondary Character
Memnoch

PostSubject: Re: A Clash of Kings (Full Book Spoilers)   A Clash of Kings (Full Book Spoilers) EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 10:31 am

half of them will be dead soon, just kidding.... or am I? Your observation on him being a little "WoT-esque" is certainly a concern, I am hoping that the next book (next to be published) will assuage my doubts. Though, it's worth noting that the new Sanderson WoT book saved that series for me. Maybe after 7 books all authors should be required to hand off their series to someone new, lol. Then for SoT, the Blood Beast would have had a real name... Smile

I am firmly in the ASoIaF is good camp though, especially cause I love a good, long, savory exposition - of which largely the whole series has been (up to where you are).

I enjoy reading your thoughts, I'll edit with more later - I'm in the middle of book 2 of my new favorite series (more on that later too).
Back to top Go down
fogofwar
Secondary Character
fogofwar

PostSubject: Re: A Clash of Kings (Full Book Spoilers)   A Clash of Kings (Full Book Spoilers) EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 1:02 am

If I only had the time to read past the first book. I'm even less motivated since I read the plot summaries from wikipedia Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Clash of Kings (Full Book Spoilers)   A Clash of Kings (Full Book Spoilers) Empty

Back to top Go down

A Clash of Kings (Full Book Spoilers)
Page 1 of 1