The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Collecting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

Collecting Empty
PostSubject: Collecting   Collecting EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 5:27 am

In the past couple of years I've turned into something of a book collector, fantasy specifically of course.

And it's all Pete's fault. Razz

A couple of years ago I received a package in the mail out of the blue, which turned out to be a signed and numbered hardcover copy of The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson that Pete had sent me for my birthday. It was an amazing gift, a signed and numbered copy of my favourite book by my favourite author. After that I figured, "Hell, if I have one I might as well look for more". So now I have all of Sanderson's first edition hardcovers signed. The Mistborn trilogy, Warbreaker, Elantris, all of em.

More recently I was browsing a used bookstore near my girlfriend's home, where I stumbled across both of Peter V Brett's books in first edition hardcover AND signed, plus Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss signed as well for damned sweet ass bargains. Turns out the shop owner is a convention freak, and takes all kinds of books (especially fantasy) with him to get signed by any and all authors he can find. So of course I bought them.

But now I have a dilemma. I then had the SECOND Rothfuss book signed, but not the first. So I look online for signed hardcovers of Name of the Wind. There's the same cover-art style as Wise Man's Fear, which is not the first edition, for $100 or so, then one of the two different first edition cover-art styles for, at least, $500 or so. Either one was a lot to me. $100 for a signed non-first edition (meh) or 5 times that for a signed first edition, which is much more rare and unique and awesome. A couple of days ago a signed first edition crops up on ebay for (after taxes and shipping) just under $300. A lot, but more than $200 cheaper than the next cheapest that I had found.

The Scottish blood in me could never turn down a bargain Razz

While browsing used bookstores I also would come across hardcovers of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Not signed, or first edition, but I don't necessarily have the same affection for it as I do others. More importantly, the first 10 books of the series I had in softcover, the three most recent in hardcover. I'm somewhat OCD when it comes to things like this, especially when it comes to books, but the fact that I had two different formats for the same series always bugged me. Further into the past I planned on just getting softcovers for the most recent books (a cheaper investment). Then I got into Sanderson, who took over for the series, and I started stumbling across hardcovers in used bookstores for not much more than a new paperback would cost. So now I've collected all but three of the Wheel of Time books in hardcover as well, with three more on the way via online.

Next in my sights is the Sword of Truth series. It's not nearly as high in my eyes as works of fiction or fantasy, but considering my history with it and the official forums it will always hold a special place in my heart. I got a hardcover of Faith of the Fallen for $2 during a booksale, and due to similar circumstances as with the Wheel of Time series, I had the final three books in hardcover already. Used bookstores, from what I've seen, tend to have a lot of his books... even the more rare cover art styles of Goodkind's earlier years. Perhaps because he's somewhat fallen from grace, or something else. Either way I'll be on the hunt to fill out that whole series in hardcover as well.

After that, probably Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series, 10 books in all. I don't think North America ever really had his hardcovers in readily available supply - I know the bookstore I work at never carried the hardcovers, though they were available to order for $50(!)+ - but they were somewhat available with cover art more in a style I find appealing, and were more readily available in the UK with some filtration back here.

After that I'll have all the bigger series I like in at least hardcover editions, my most favourite signed as well. The hunt through small bookstores and online has become a fun hobby of mine. Very Happy

Has anyone else done the same sort of thing?
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

Collecting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collecting   Collecting EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 1:59 pm

Regarding Terry, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he's not as willing to tour and get his own name out there the way some authors are. I think if he went to some cons and toured more he would be even bigger than he is now (though you have to admit, the numbers of his latest e-release are pretty impressive for someone who has "fallen from grace").

The only disappointment I have regarding Terry as of now is that I AM somewhat of a collector, and I'll never have a copy of The First Confessor.
Back to top Go down
https://worldbuildersguild.rpg-board.net
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

Collecting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collecting   Collecting EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 12:41 am

Calwyn wrote:
In the past couple of years I've turned into something of a book collector, fantasy specifically of course.

And it's all Pete's fault. Razz
You're welcome. Very Happy

Calwyn wrote:

But now I have a dilemma. I then had the SECOND Rothfuss book signed, but not the first. So I look online for signed hardcovers of Name of the Wind. There's the same cover-art style as Wise Man's Fear, which is not the first edition, for $100 or so, then one of the two different first edition cover-art styles for, at least, $500 or so. Either one was a lot to me. $100 for a signed non-first edition (meh) or 5 times that for a signed first edition, which is much more rare and unique and awesome. A couple of days ago a signed first edition crops up on ebay for (after taxes and shipping) just under $300. A lot, but more than $200 cheaper than the next cheapest that I had found.

So... did you actually pay that?

Next time, I would suggest looking into trying to get a non signed copy of the book you want. Then see if that author will sign it if you send it to them. I'm 98% sure that Pat will. As long as include a gift of 'something cool' for him.

Calwyn wrote:

Has anyone else done the same sort of thing?

I found out one of my sisters worked with Tracy Hickman's daughter. The moment I found out I had her ask if I could get some books signed. I also had her ask if i could maybe meet him. He said he would probably be to busy, but did sign my book.

When I went and saw TG I made sure all my books were hardcover.

I didn't care that much when I met Robert Jordan. So most of mine are paper back.

I do need to get my first ed of Rothfuss children's book signed. My 2nd is signed. Because when they sold them you could only get your 2nd ed copy with a signature. So I bought both, lol.

I really want my Steven Brust books signed. (In edition to meeting him. That'd be so awesome.) I also want my Jim Butcher books signed. And I want to meet him. (Which may be even cooler then meeting Brust.) But the problem is Butcher does most of his signing where I am not. And I haven't heard of a Brust signing it years.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer
talonnolan

Collecting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collecting   Collecting EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 2:58 am

Oh and Brian, have you seen this? https://www.facebook.com/events/195669623874728/?context=create

TORONTO, CANADA
November 1-4, 2012
World Fantasy Convention
Reading, Q&A, and Signing
Sheraton Parkway Toronto North Hotel, Suites & Conference Centre
600 Highway 7 East
Richmond Hill, Ontario L4B 1B2
Canada

Looks like Rothfuss will be in your neighborhood in a little over two months. I don't know if he's only at the convention center or what exactly.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

Collecting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collecting   Collecting EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 3:04 am

Mother god damn fucker. I was thinking of doing exactly what you said Pete, just ordering a plain first edition and getting it signed if/when I could. Problem was (key word) that a non-signed first edition was still upwards of $100, and I wasn't sure when in the near future (if ever) I'd be able to get out and see him in person to get it signed. Here's the kicker: the used bookstore by my gf's that I mentioned before, where I've been going at least once a month for the past 5 or so months, had mentioned that convention and even that he had heard Rothfuss was going to be attending. But he later told me he wasn't. Now he goes to all kinds of conventions all over the world for both interest and business, so I'm guessing he's mostly trustworthy but he just got mixed up or misinformed himself. Still, that was one of the things that tipped the scales for me when I wound up ordering the already signed hardcover.

Oh well... I guess I can get it personalized now...
Back to top Go down
Memnoch
Secondary Character
Memnoch

Collecting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collecting   Collecting EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 3:39 pm

I might have the first Rothfuss book signed in HC if that's what you want. I'd just tradsies it. I'll check when I get home... I'm on my own for the next 2 weeks so I am planning on being bad (which in this case means looking at books on my bookshelf... lol)
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

Collecting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collecting   Collecting EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Ugh... I have to stop going to that used bookstore. I wandered in with my girlfriend for just a quick browse and visit, and walked out with $175 spent. The owner must have just come back from a convention or conventions, because there was a lot of new stock with a lot of signed books. I got a numbered and signed Brayan's Gold novella from Peter V Brett, a signed Steven Erikson book from his Malazan series, Blood of the Fold in hardcover, and a hardcover of The Count of Monte Cristo that was printed in 1915. I'm happy with the books. Really happy. But I REALLY shouldn't have spent so much money...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Collecting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collecting   Collecting Empty

Back to top Go down

Collecting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The World Builders Guild :: General Discussion Forums :: Entertainment Drabble :: Books & Literature-
Jump to: