The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Panic!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ForeverCrimson
Minor Character
ForeverCrimson

Panic! Empty
PostSubject: Panic!   Panic! EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 5:43 am

As some of you guys may know I haven't been on here recently because I'm finishing up a Masters degree in archaeology and am currently super-busy working on my dissertation. 20,000 words, no biggie, just a helluva lot to get done. But nothing to panic about right?

Well just had a meeting with my supervisor (who is stupidly excited about my project which means I know that a- I've chosen good and b- it's a lot harder than it appears) and things were going well.

Up until the point he casually dropped it into the coversation that he wants to send it to a man named Ian Hodder.

Ian Hodder is a *huge* name in the archaeology world. Not only is he the director of the site I'm basing my work on, but he practically single-handedly pioneered postprocessional theory in archaeology. He got a first-class degree from a London university, and then a phd from freaking Cambridge (where he was also a lecturer for a while) and now he's a Professor of Archaeology at Stanford University. Yep, the American Stanford University.

*gulp*

So... no pressure then?

*panic*

(As an amusing aside, someone who studied under him and who's work I've been reading is an archaeologist called Michael Shanks. I laughed a lot when I saw that. Sadly, he didn't do any work with the Eqyptians... Geeky moments!)
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

Panic! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic!   Panic! EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:09 am

That is AWESOME!

What's your dissertation on (in dummy-speak for us non-archeologists, please Wink )?
Back to top Go down
ForeverCrimson
Minor Character
ForeverCrimson

Panic! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic!   Panic! EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 am

Awesome and more than slightly terrifying!

Ha ha, ok my best dummy-speak... I am looking at whether the way in which you narrate "virtual heritage" (eg. 3d computer models) has an effect on the way people percieve the information given.

I created a 3d reconstruction of a Neolithic building (I posted in on here I think... wait! I never posted the final view of it... hmmm might have to rectify that) from a site in Tukey called Çatalhöyük. It's one of the earliest urban centres in the world (7400 BCE - how cool it that?!) so it's a pretty damn important site.

Anyways, using that model I have (or will have, as soon as they're finished; taking a helluva lot longer than I'd hoped) created three videos from it. Visually they will be identical (kinda - same sequence of images) and they'll each provide the same information, but the method of communicating that information will change.

The first is text-only, then audio-only, and finally I used a blue screen to film someone talking (actually me, as my friend had to drop out - note to everyone I am *useless* in front of camera. Seriously seriously bad) to digitally composite in front of the scene (sorta like the weather men do).

I'm then going to show people *one* video and get them to answer both objective ("what colour were the wall paintings" etc.) and subjective ("I felt I learned a lot from the video" etc.) questions based on their experience.

There's been a couple of similar (but not the same) studies done, and the working hypothesis so far is that while there will be no difference in how much people *actually* learnt from the video, those who saw the one with the person in it will *feel* that they learned more than the other methods.

It's weird, my reading for this project has taken me from archaeology to Indiana Jones, to Las Vegas and one scary experience when I strayed into robotics and robot-human interactions (very tech-speak, brain 'splode moment, but turned out to be very useful). Plus I get to use the word "avatar" loads *sniggers*

So yeah, no one's done anything like this before. Blue-screen and archaeology is practically unheard of so... Woo for being inivative. Boo for meaning there's very little to fall back on!
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

Panic! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic!   Panic! EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 10:46 am

LOL... Just stay calm. I know everything will work out just fine. (I was thinking Kane Hodder and was going to ask you to get him to sign my hockey mask, but I digress...)
Back to top Go down
https://worldbuildersguild.rpg-board.net
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

Panic! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic!   Panic! EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:11 pm

That sounds like a very cool project.

And you DEFINITELY need to share the finished 3d model with us!
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

Panic! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic!   Panic! EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 5:03 am

Don't think of anything else but the incredible opportunity you have. Most people won't ever get anything like it, which means anything else that comes after this is just icing on the cake. So sit back and just enjoy the ride!
Back to top Go down
ForeverCrimson
Minor Character
ForeverCrimson

Panic! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic!   Panic! EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 5:34 pm

Very Happy It's done! I'm done! Wow, masters is complete. Not sure when I get my final grades but woop! Freedom.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

Panic! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panic!   Panic! EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 8:38 pm

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
https://worldbuildersguild.rpg-board.net
BrassButtons
Primary Character