The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Historical Letters

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

Historical Letters Empty
PostSubject: Historical Letters   Historical Letters EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:16 pm

A coworker gave me two very cool letters today (they weren't for me specifically--I was just the last person to get to see them, and she was like "Eh, I have more copies, do whatever with those"). The first was written by a Confederate soldier (possibly related to her, but I could be mistaken) to his mother in 1864. The second was written by the captain of the USS Helena to his officers and crew (two of whom were my coworker's uncles) after Pearl Harbor.

Did a little Google-Fu, and found both letters online. The Civil War letter can be found here and the Helena letter is here.

Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

Historical Letters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Historical Letters   Historical Letters EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 5:11 am

That's awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
https://worldbuildersguild.rpg-board.net
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character
Confessor Kahlan

Historical Letters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Historical Letters   Historical Letters EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:20 am

Wonderful. I love things like this. It really gives an insight into the minds of people who went through such atrocities. I found the letter from the young Confederate soldier to his mother particularly moving. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
RainCloud
Primary Character

Historical Letters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Historical Letters   Historical Letters EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 3:14 pm

I was very interested in the Confederate soldier letter. I read the Elsie books as a child, which is a series about a young woman growing up in the South and her adulthood coincides with the Civil War. It uses what I thought was extravagant language and was over the top in Christianity but after reading the Confederate soldier letter, it is the same language so I guess the books are actually accurate. Very cool to find out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Historical Letters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Historical Letters   Historical Letters Empty

Back to top Go down

Historical Letters
Page 1 of 1