Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Calwyn
Sidekick

PostSubject: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Via Brandon Sanderson's facebook/twitter. I have no idea how long it takes to edit, print, and distribute but I'm still excited. Very Happy

"What mood is that?"

"Last minute panic.”
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:11 pm

From his facebook page:

Quote :
As for when the book will come out, Tor should do an announcement soon. Revisions will take a good six months. So fall, I expect.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:06 am

I'm thinkng I will start reading WOT after my next reread of the SOT. By that time WOT should be completed and I think it deserves a second chance (first time around I just couldn't get interested).

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain.

We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://worldbuildersguild.forumotion.net
Professor X
Founder of the X-Men
Founder of the X-Men

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:22 am

This is great news!

RainCloud
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:26 pm

I saw that. The same day Cory Doctorow finished Little Brother 2. Im so excited to read both but a little apprehensive about Memory of Light. I have no clue whats going to happen and I want to like the ending but I expect it to be bittersweet. Maybe it will be good that way...
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:45 am

Sanderson has made comments that there are still plenty of twists, revelations and other happenings that should make WOT fans happy with how it ends. I'm excited to see how the story will end (because it should have ended about three or four books ago).

"What mood is that?"

"Last minute panic.”
Back to top Go down
Memnoch
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:14 pm

spoiler alert: Nyneave's braid is one of the Forsaken!
Back to top Go down
RainCloud
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Mem...I actually began to think of the possibilities of your comment before I realized you were teasing x.x
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:03 pm

A Memory of Light: Prologue (Excerpt)

A Darrell K. Sweet Wheel of Time Tribute, Including A Memory of Light Sketch

Last edited by Deano on Thu May 03, 2012 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Thu May 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Michael Whelan’s Cover for A Memory of Light Revealed:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/05/michael-whelans-cover-for-a-memory-of-light-revealed
Back to top Go down
Memnoch
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Thu May 03, 2012 7:33 pm

This is actually pretty damn cool, though I've never been a fan of this series' cover-art style at all really. More-so the landscapes than the people I guess.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Fri May 04, 2012 8:51 am

One of the better portrayals of Rand that I've ever seen. He looks more mature in this, where before he always looked boyish.

"What mood is that?"

"Last minute panic.”
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 pm

A Memory of Light: Chapter 11 (Excerpt)
Back to top Go down
RainCloud
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:04 am

That's a goood teaser chapter. So excited!

Edit: Barnes and Noble has the release date for January 8, 2013. At least I'll have something to do in January but the baby better let me finish it before it arrives lol
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:32 pm

There's been two other excerpts as well, for those who haven't seen them:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/04/a-memory-of-light-prologue-excerpt

http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/07/read-an-excerpt-from-chapter-one-of-a-memory-of-light

Heh, my sister-in-law's due date is Jan 18, so I'll have to something to read in the waiting room at least (assuming I haven't devoured it well before then [which is going to be the case]).
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Since I have nothing else I want to read at the moment, I think I'm going to try to do a reread in preparation for the release of Memory of Light. I already started Eye of the World. We'll see how many books I read this time. Last time I tried to reread the entire series, I only got to book 6.

Secondary Character

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:23 am

If it helps at all, I'm doing the same. Just at the last few chapters of book 4 right now.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:06 am

I'm going to start the series after it gets completed. And then we'll see how far I actually go. Last time I got through maybe the first 20 pages. LOL

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain.

We should create a loop. That way when he gets back he can feel jealous that he's been out of it.
Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:18 am

I tried half a dozen times to read book one Austin, before I finally did. Then I read book two in one try. I liked book two so much better then one. Not that there was anything really wrong with one. I like one a lot actually. Now, that is. LOL.

I probably shouldn't of read the prologue. It turned me off to the book for some reason. And it did it for years and years. My best friend kept trying to get me to read it. I couldn't get over how much I disliked the prologue.

When I started Eye of the World today I actually flipped past the prologue on accident. Lol. Maybe it was habit? But, now that I know what is actually going on, I like the prologue a lot. One of my favorite scenes in the series now actually.

Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:20 am

I still think the problem for me was I wanted to continue along with the prologue, and then I was so bored to tears after the prologue I couldn't go on.

Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:45 am

LOL. Yes, that makes sense too.

Have you tried Jim Butchers books? I'm trying to get Brian to read them in the other thread. Now I'll peer pressure you.

Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:46 am

I'm determined to start with Codex, but I can't find the first book anywhere.

Back to top Go down
talonnolan
Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:17 am

Just finished Eye of the World. What was that? A little more then a week? Go me.

Shard Bearer
Shard Bearer

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Finished the Great Hunt last night. Now onto the Dragon Reborn. Maybe I should slow down?

Sidekick

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:25 pm

Jason Denzel, founder of Dragonmount that is the main fan-site for the Wheel of Time series, posted a spoiler-free review of A Memory of Light which kind of doubled as a eulogy to Jordan himself. I read it, got goosebumps at parts, and now you must all suffer in agony at having to wait three more months to read the book yourself as I will!

http://www.dragonmount.com/index.php/News/amol/dear-robert-jordan

Quote :
Dear Robert Jordan,

Today I read your final book. The end of The Wheel of Time came to my hands nearly twenty years after I first picked up its beginning. It was a story well told, a story whose ending lived up to the promises made so very long ago. I’m writing in order to tell you a little about it.

What I’ve loved most about your grand story throughout the years is how true it is. Those who cherish the fantasy genre understand this. Within a story about fictitious people, in fictitious worlds, with conflicts that never actually happened, we have the opportunity to explore what makes us real. The Wheel of Time has, for me, and I suspect for thousands of others, done that better than any of its peers. One of its most fundamental lessons is that time is a wheel, and that endings are simply new beginnings if you have the courage to turn and look the other way.

When you died, I had the privilege to visit your home--your Charleston, your Two Rivers. I sat in your chair and looked at your beloved books. I breathed the air you breathed, and I understood a part of you. I met your friends and family, and saw how they defined yet another part. And so today, as I read the ending of your magnum opus, I yet again found a piece of you. In those final, beautiful moments, with tears in my eyes, I understood. I saw why you wanted to write the story. I see the point you were trying to make. And I laughed. It may not have been what people expected, but, to quote Stephen King, it was the right ending.

And a glorious one.

The Wheel of Time books have ended for me. I cannot deny the bittersweet emotions that brings. But a strong ending gives more meaning to the journey that came before it. Sure, I can pick apart small nuances of this final book that weren’t perfect. Some little parts may not have rung as true as they could have. But by and large, it delivered in a big way.

If only you could have seen the specific way in which it turned out. I loved each character’s ending, even if it made me cry. I celebrated victories and gasped at the raw, visceral failures. Rand and Egwene shined the brightest, as I could have only hoped and expected. And there’s that one chapter. Holy smokes, RJ. 50,000 words? Really? Wow.

You never met Brandon Sanderson; most likely never heard his name in your lifetime. But I can tell you, RJ, he did an amazing job. He was your steward, and carried your banner proudly into the maw of Shayol Ghul in order to ensure oblivion did not consume the series’ ending. You would’ve be so proud of him. I sure am. A lot of fans are. If you ever meet him, in an unknown place, time, or life, give him a hearty handshake of thanks, and buy him a beer some Magic cards.

You should also know that Maria and Alan, your assistants, remained faithful every step of the way. For five years they’ve painstakingly studied, analyzed, corrected, and loved this final book. As I read it, I could clearly see their influence, and I’m so thankful we had them. It wouldn’t have been this good without them. If it would have even been at all.

The fans, too, did their part. A small few helped with continuity, and a larger group honors your work every day through their service to the community and franchise. And yet another group, the largest, which spans the whole world, are fans who live and breathe your work. They share it with their friends. They strive to live up to the positive ideals you wrote about. They toast to your memory, and read your books to their children. They prove that a work of fantasy literature can inspire people of any nationality, religion, or political leaning to agree upon something they hold dear to their hearts.

Your various publishers have honored your memory by printing your books, and continually putting fresh paint (literally, in the case of the covers) on this series. They’ve sometimes faced criticism, but in the end did you proud. Tom Doherty and his team have led that charge. I spoke to Tom recently and he reminded me that he does it because he’s a fan and a friend of yours.

Finally, and most significantly of all, I want you to know that Harriet has been nothing short of amazing. You already know this in a way that I don’t need to describe, but her love for you is inspiring. She’s worked tirelessly since your passing to finish this book. She’s been your captain, and sailed the ship home. Next time I see her, I’ll give her a hug for you. I think a lot of other fans will, too.

The most extraordinary thing about all these people, from Harriet to the worldwide fans, is that collectively they underscore the very heart of this book. They prove that life truly imitates art, and vice versa. The Wheel of Time began with you. Its pages began with a single man walking down a ruined hallway. But in the end, the series proved bigger than you, and bigger than that man and his successor.

Yours is a story for the Ages. Some may criticize or belittle it, but its sheer scope and influence can’t be argued. The final pages may have been written, but it will live on in memory, community, and (let’s face it) franchise tie-ins. There are neither beginnings nor endings, right?

So, RJ, as I finish this letter that you’ll never read, I’m left only with final thanks. Thank you for sharing your vision with me. With all of us. For all the worldwide success and attention this book will bring, it still spoke to me on an intimate, personal level. Thank you for expressing the beauty of your life in these pages. Thank you for giving us what is quite simply the most epic ending to the grandest saga of our time.

Thank you for taking us upon a ride on the winds of time.

With sincerity, I remain,
Your Friend,
Jason Denzel

Jason@dragonmount.com

"What mood is that?"

"Last minute panic.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!   

Back to top Go down

A Memory of Light First Draft Is Completed!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next